Vello Macrofier

jc.dempsey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I was wasting time at work on B + H. I came across this Vello Macrofier for Canon EF mount lenses. You can supposedly reverse mount your lens, just like those little adapter rings, but you still have control of aperture and auto focus. As a plus it looks like it might protect the lens mount and rear element (sort of like a lens hood).

I doubt the autofocus system in my 70d could work with that, but I could probably control the AF through EOS utility on my computer.

Has anyone had any experience with this gadget? I'm not really in the market for a dedicated macro lens but it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Vello Macrofier Reverse Mount Adapter and Extension Tube RM-CEF

I reverse my lenses every now and then using a $9 set I bought on Amazon. It sure beats paying 10 times that to have aperture control. You may need some step rings depending on your lenses. The one I have is set to 58mm, but I have to step-down to 52 for my nifty fifty.

There's a trick to setting the aperture before taking off the lens. Dial in the aperture you want, press and hold the DOF preview button, then turn the camera off. The aperture will now be set and you can remove the lens. Then, reverse it using the piece.

I'm not sure about the Vello piece, but with mine, it's fully manual focus. Not a big deal, but it's hard when holding the camera. On a tripod, no big deal. But, if you're holding it, the smallest movement will cause your camera to shift and you'll be OOF.

When I first starting using it, it was pretty neat. But, the novelty wore off fast. I want a true macro lens.

My opinion would be to try it out with the $9 piece first to see how you like it.

It says that it maintains autofocusing! $99 doesn't buy all that much at the grocery store these days. This actually looks like a very nice accessory for a Canon user. I would say that for $99, this looks like a pretty good accessory to have available. And, if you want to reverse mount lenses, and still have the ability to control the aperture that would be the ticket. I am also assuming, and I think it's reasonable to assume this, that the device ALSO MAINTAINS full EXIF information and EXIF reporting, so that the f/stop is relayed to the metering system, so that TTL flash control and exposure control are both maintained; now THAT is what makes this device so useful. Not really the autofocusing it maintains, but the electronic communication between the lens, and the camera, as well as the ability to regulate the lens diaphragm! If the flash knows what the lens is set to, a whole host of problems can be alleviated, and also, that means that +/- exposure compensation can be used, which will add a huge amount of flexibility to your macro shooting.

MUCH of the time you will be shooting at f/16; having the ability to focus wide-open, then to stop down instantly when the shot is made, is a big,big deal.

When you do macro shooting with NON-meter coupled devices (tubes, lenses, whatever), then flash exposures, and continuous light exposures, are made either fully manual, or at best, semi-automatic. In a fully-manual close-up situation with electronic flash, moving the flash backward or forward an inch or two can sometimes make the exposure fluctuate widely. Moving the flash say a foot can cause a MAJOR exposure issue, which will always need to be corrected by the user, by hand, manually.

With TTL communication maintained between the lens, and the camera's systems, exposure issues can be regulated by the automated systems, and modified by +/- comp, which can be a very nice thing. I've done both all-manual, totally NON-meter connected macro stuff, as well as all-automated, and also in between, with gear from the 1970's to the 2010's...

If you want to reverse-mount a system that has an all-electronic diaphragm (Canon, Sony for example) you will desperately WANT this device's capability set.

Last edited:
I have 2 lenses so far. A tamron 18-270 that I don't really want to try with this. It's heavy and I don't feel like it's worth it.

I want to try it with my canon 10-18 because from what I understand when reverse mounting, a shorter focal range gives you more magnification.

Plus, the canon lens is all electronic. No full manual focus.

Around Christmas time I'll probably bite the bullet to see what this thing is all about.

Most reactions

Back