Venting

duehew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D3200 and am getting sick of it and about to go back to my Minolta XG-7 35mm camera. When putting the camera in MANUAL OR APERATURE mode the camera still takes over and sometimes will not fire. This is very frustrating. I can go along taking photos just fine but then the next one will not fire and when I put the camera in Auto it will fire and then go back to Manual and it works just fine. When in Manual it should do what I Want and not what the camera wants. Just getting frustrated.

Sounds weird, did you thought of taking it to Nikon service centre ?

Is the failure to fire due to the camera's inability to autofocus?

Could be something in your settings. Check your focus release modes. At what aperture, ISO and shutter speed are you typically experiencing the issue? Are you shooting at high speed and hitting the limit of the buffer? Night shooting?

Yep. Sounds like it won't fire because the shutter release priority is set to focus priority and focus has not been achieved.
The other option for shutter release priority is release priority - the camera will fire even if focus has not been achieved.

If you bought the D3200 new it came with a Reference Manual on the software disc.
Read the Manual.

Yep. Sounds like it won't fire because the shutter release priority is set to focus priority and focus has not been achieved.
The other option for shutter release priority is release priority - the camera will fire even if focus has not been achieved.
Agreed. Basically, it lets you configure it to take a picture only when focus is locked, or whenever you press the shutter release, regardless of whether anything is in focus.
  • On my D500, this setting is under Menu > Custom Settings > Autofocus > AF-C / AF-S priority selection
  • My older D5100 only has this setting available for AF-C, not AF-S
I took a quick look at the D3200 manual, and I'm not sure this is configurable on your camera, but it's worth taking a look.

Most reactions

Back