Verbal abuse needed: newbie shots

forrey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.forrestmckinney.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! Just joined the forum, though I've been lurking for a while. I'm a photography newbie but always wanted to try it for real and was finally able to get myself a 550D a couple months ago.

Anyway, I was just hoping to get opinions on some of the shots I've taken so far. No joke about the verbal abuse, I prefer blunt criticism so feel free to tear 'em up

Thanks

Side note: the first one is actually not selective color, it was just one brightly colored leaf in a pile of dead ones. (Granted, I did lower the overall saturation and up the orange/red in lightroom a bit, but not much. It was a strong contrast to begin with)

img_0312.jpg

img_7351-15.jpg

img_0408-2.jpg

img_0223.jpg

img_0828.jpg

img_0833.jpg

img_7563-16.jpg

img_7573-17.jpg

img_0834.jpg

left_behind_by_drumstx2010-d4190ux-2.jpg

face_upturned__island_graffiti_by_drumstx2010-d418zcb-2.jpg

island_graffiti__parasite_by_drumstx2010-d4191r8-2.jpg

Last edited:
You are not going to get any abuse from me, well not much anyway.

Selective color is not a favorite around technique in these parts but it sort of works for your image of the maple leaf.

The mushrooms are ok, might have been better with more depth of field.

The horizon is inexcusably tilted in the sandal photo.

The last two are pretty cool - reminders of Andy Warhol.

You are not going to get any abuse from me, well not much anyway.

Selective color is not a favorite around technique in these parts but it sort of works for your image of the maple leaf.

The mushrooms are ok, might have been better with more depth of field.

The horizon is inexcusably tilted in the sandal photo.

The last two are pretty cool - reminders of Andy Warhol.

Thanks! Great points, agreed on all counts. Though the maple leaf picture is actually not selective color, it really was one brightly colored leaf in a pile of grey, dead ones (granted, I did lower the overall saturation and up the orange/red a bit in Lightroom, but it was honestly a strong contrast to begin with).

the mushroom shot is a big regret for me, I had a couple shots with more DOF but they were just slightly too blurry to work with. Learned that lesson!

Last edited:
Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts. How about a nice, cool drink, varmint? Scum! Slime! Menace to the golfing industry! You're a disgrace. You're varmints. You're one of the lowest members of the food chain and you'll probably be replaced by the rat!

Above is your verbal abuse, the photos look good. Some are a little over processed for my taste, but that's subjective. Looking forward to seeing more!

Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts. How about a nice, cool drink, varmint? Scum! Slime! Menace to the golfing industry! You're a disgrace. You're varmints. You're one of the lowest members of the food chain and you'll probably be replaced by the rat!

Above is your verbal abuse, the photos look good. Some are a little over processed for my taste, but that's subjective. Looking forward to seeing more!

Now this guy knows how to deal some verbal abuse ^.^ Mad props for the caddyshack reference!

Would I be right in saying number's 3, 5, and 10 especially are over-processed?

They all seem similar in processing to me, on 4 it works though I agree with everyone I still really like the shot. 2 to me jumps out as over done. I think 10 was just lacking exclusion, to me the photo would have worked if there was just one person in the background somewhere, like a guy/girl swimming on a secluded beach... Keep an eye on cropping too, like the 2nd dog picture. What is number 4, my head sees a raspberry and then I look what it is attached to and I'm puzzled. Also 4 is cropped just a hair tight too IMO. It's all subjective though.

They all seem similar in processing to me, on 4 it works though I agree with everyone I still really like the shot. 2 to me jumps out as over done. I think 10 was just lacking exclusion, to me the photo would have worked if there was just one person in the background somewhere, like a guy/girl swimming on a secluded beach... Keep an eye on cropping too, like the 2nd dog picture. What is number 4, my head sees a raspberry and then I look what it is attached to and I'm puzzled. Also 4 is cropped just a hair tight too IMO. It's all subjective though.

Awesome, thanks for the tips! Agreed with all of that, do you mean the 2nd dog photo is cropped too tight? As for #4, I was actually just as confused shooting it because I have no idea what it was either :p it does look like a raspberry but there were a bunch where I was shooting, they're all on stalks and I have no idea what they are

Bitter, I was thinking the same thing about that one.

Oh, and...

"QUEEN OF PUTRESCENCE!!!"

Most reactions

Back