Very Beginner questions..

Zada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm borrowing a camera at the moment... It says "FinePix, Fujifilm, S602" on it.. do'nt know if that's helpful or not. Its a digital. That's all I know about it. Anyway... I'm wondering if someone can give me some very beginner information...

What is ISO and what do you use high ISO for and what do you use low ISO for?
What is white balance for?
What does Photometry mean
What does Auto Bracketing do?
What does positive and negative flash numbers mean (ex: +0.3)

I don't have a user manual or anything that is for the camera... and I'm just used to a point and shoot small one that already has everything set up for different things. oy.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. :hail:

Thanks! - Amber

Thanks Atreus!! I'll go look at them now :)

ISO is the speed of a film. how fast it can capture light. if the film is faster, you dont need to expose your sensor to light for as long. so you can have a longer shutter speed, or a smaller apeture. But having high ISO (fast) leads to grain/noise

White Balance. Different kind of light sources, lightbulb, sun, flourecent bulb, creates different wavelengths of light, and you camera will see it this way too. It so your camera can adjust and so your pictures dont come out all yellow because of the lightbulb/candle, or all blue because of the white flourescnet light

Autobracketing is when you're unsure of the correct exposure, and your camera takes 3 pictures, one "normal" exposure, one under exposure and one overexposure

those positive and negative numbers is compensation for the exposure, if you think you camera is overexposing, then take it down to -.5 or -1.
this often just fiddles with your shutter speed to over/under expose they way you set it

haha, thanks. maybe someone should make those a sticky for complete noobs like i was/am? i think it'll help a lot. the photoxels really explained a lot/helped me out

ISO is the speed of a film. how fast it can capture light. if the film is faster, you dont need to expose your sensor to light for as long. so you can have a longer shutter speed, or a smaller apeture. But having high ISO (fast) leads to grain/noise

White Balance. Different kind of light sources, lightbulb, sun, flourecent bulb, creates different wavelengths of light, and you camera will see it this way too. It so your camera can adjust and so your pictures dont come out all yellow because of the lightbulb/candle, or all blue because of the white flourescnet light

Autobracketing is when you're unsure of the correct exposure, and your camera takes 3 pictures, one "normal" exposure, one under exposure and one overexposure

those positive and negative numbers is compensation for the exposure, if you think you camera is overexposing, then take it down to -.5 or -1.
this often just fiddles with your shutter speed to over/under expose they way you set it

Thanks for taking the time to explain that! Nice and simple too :) I appreciate it!

Most reactions

Back