Very confused about what to purchase

MikaylaKathleen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new...my name is Mikayla (surprise!), and I want a new camera (not a surprise?). I've done some research but I'm just very confused by it all, and would love some insight by people who know what they're talking about, because I do not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I read through the pinned checklist, so for easy reading:

1. My budget is a little up in the air. What it comes down to is that I am going to college in the fall and I need/want to purchase a new computer, a new car, and a new camera. I have just short of $3,000 in graduation money to spend for all three. Factoring in my current car and my laptop, I probably about about $700 to spend on a camera, but there's some natural wiggle room, so if there's something a little bit more expensive that would be preferential, don't leave it out!

2. I currently have a Sony A200k (I think). We bought it years ago off craigslist; I'm not particularly attached to the brand or anything. We mostly have the one it because it fell into our lap.

3. I mostly want a new camera to take pictures of my dogs, tbh. I love animals and I do some pet sitting, and I loved taking pictures of my clients' dogs for them. However, I'm moving to a beautiful area in the Rocky Mountains for college, so I'm hoping that I'll get back to taking some landscape photos, as well. And there's always my mother forcing me to take pictures of extended family during our ever plentiful family reunions. Basically, mostly looking for a bit of an everything camera, but specifically something that'll do good for animals.

4. My skill level is probably somewhere moderate beginner. I took a couple years of 4-H photography and did well at state fair, but I never really pursued it beyond taking pictures for fun

5. I've tried to do some research but I'm just confused by all the terminology and what I need to look for for what I want, etc. A lot my friends/friends' parents like their Canon Rebels, but there are so many in that series I don't know what I would want, or what kind of kit/lens(es) I would need, if that camera would suit my desires.

I'm just so lost...this isn't my world! Absolutely any insight would be helpful. I'm sorry for the long post, I'm perpetually wordy. My bad!

Welcome to TPF. There are many options, but you would do well buying something with a good autofocus tracking ability for your running animals. You don't say if you want to buy new or are happy to go second hand.

Off the cuff, I think something like a nikon d5200

Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black) | B&H Photo

I'd look into longer lenses also, or better still, try to find the camera with a 18-105mm lens or an 18-140mm lens instesad of the 18-55

I'm new...my name is Mikayla (surprise!), and I want a new camera (not a surprise?). I've done some research but I'm just very confused by it all, and would love some insight by people who know what they're talking about, because I do not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I read through the pinned checklist, so for easy reading:

1. My budget is a little up in the air. What it comes down to is that I am going to college in the fall and I need/want to purchase a new computer, a new car, and a new camera. I have just short of $3,000 in graduation money to spend for all three. Factoring in my current car and my laptop, I probably about about $700 to spend on a camera, but there's some natural wiggle room, so if there's something a little bit more expensive that would be preferential, don't leave it out!

2. I currently have a Sony A200k (I think). We bought it years ago off craigslist; I'm not particularly attached to the brand or anything. We mostly have the one it because it fell into our lap.

3. I mostly want a new camera to take pictures of my dogs, tbh. I love animals and I do some pet sitting, and I loved taking pictures of my clients' dogs for them. However, I'm moving to a beautiful area in the Rocky Mountains for college, so I'm hoping that I'll get back to taking some landscape photos, as well. And there's always my mother forcing me to take pictures of extended family during our ever plentiful family reunions. Basically, mostly looking for a bit of an everything camera, but specifically something that'll do good for animals.

4. My skill level is probably somewhere moderate beginner. I took a couple years of 4-H photography and did well at state fair, but I never really pursued it beyond taking pictures for fun

5. I've tried to do some research but I'm just confused by all the terminology and what I need to look for for what I want, etc. A lot my friends/friends' parents like their Canon Rebels, but there are so many in that series I don't know what I would want, or what kind of kit/lens(es) I would need, if that camera would suit my desires.

I'm just so lost...this isn't my world! Absolutely any insight would be helpful. I'm sorry for the long post, I'm perpetually wordy. My bad!

Go to a store like Best Buy and check out the camera section. Look at the features and different models, The Canon Rebel series is good - T6i, 760D, etc. but also look at the latest mirrorless cameras from Sony and Fuji. And the selection of lens is important - e.g. Canon 55-250 STM is good and inexpensive - keep on asking questions!

I would recommend either the Nikon D5500

The Nikon D5500 has an outstanding image quality and low light performance, has swivel touch screen.
To that you can add the kit lens 18-140mm and a Nikon 50mm 1.8G which will be good for shooting the dogs and blurring the background.

Thank you so much for ya'll's expertise :) I really appreciate it! I'll look at the Nikon 5500 (this is similar to the 5200, right? Just a bit newer?)!

Thank you so much for ya'll's expertise :) I really appreciate it! I'll look at the Nikon 5500 (this is similar to the 5200, right? Just a bit newer?)!
Can't go wrong with either one. I liked the 18-140 / D5200 recommendation from @jaomul

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine told me Canon (I think it's probably just brand loyalty/familiarity, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to look further). And with her recommendation, I think I've kind of narrowed it down to the two cameras, the Nikon D5500 and the Canon Rebel T6i (both come with an 18-135/140 lens, like you guys recommended). However, when I look at them side by side with this doo-hickey, I can't really tell the difference. I can see some variations in the numbers/terms, but I just don't know what they mean. Is there a huge difference? Is there anything that greatly differs between the cameras that should sway my decision?

Again, thank you so much. I feel like I'm at least getting somewhere now!

A friend of mine told me Canon (I think it's probably just brand loyalty/familiarity, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to look further). And with her recommendation, I think I've kind of narrowed it down to the two cameras, the Nikon D5500 and the Canon Rebel T6i (both come with an 18-135/140 lens, like you guys recommended). However, when I look at them side by side with this doo-hickey, I can't really tell the difference. I can see some variations in the numbers/terms, but I just don't know what they mean. Is there a huge difference? Is there anything that greatly differs between the cameras that should sway my decision?

I am sure you would be happy with both. According to most comparison sites that do sensor testing, the Nikon has a better imaging sensor when it comes to dynamic range and noise control.

So in theory you should be able to squeeze better images from your camera if you process raw files. In real life the difference is probably not massive, but would be worth considering. The Nikon battery seems to give about twice as any shots. That is not to say the Canon isn't great, but I think the Nikon edges it a bit. Ymmv

Both the T6i and D5500 are good but the Sony sensor in the D5500 gives it the edge, its a bit better in lower light and has more dynamic range also I think the auto focus system on the D5500 is better.
Also the D5500 battery gives you twice the amount of pictures 820 on the Nikon vs 440 pictures on the T6i and there is no AA filter on the D5500 so potentially you can get sharper images compared to the T6i
As I said both are good but the D5500 in my opinion has the advantage.

Check this comparison review and you will see at the summery they agree with my recommendation too

Canon T6i vs Nikon D5500 Detailed Comparison

Last edited:

Canon will give you better "IQ" image quality, faster focusing, etc. Also Canon has a larger selection of lens and they are cheaper. (why the pros shoot Canon) Also consider the 70D or 80D. I've heard some people are satisfied with Nikon and Sony and other brands but not sure why.

And don't forget the interchangeble lens mirrorless models - it doesn't have to be a DSLR.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I would recommend either the Nikon D5500

The Nikon D5500 has an outstanding image quality and low light performance, has swivel touch screen.
To that you can add the kit lens 18-140mm and a Nikon 50mm 1.8G which will be good for shooting the dogs and blurring the background.
Pick the 35mm DX, instead.

Canon will give you better "IQ" image quality, faster focusing, etc. Also Canon has a larger selection of lens and they are cheaper. (why the pros shoot Canon) Also consider the 70D or 80D. I've heard some people are satisfied with Nikon and Sony and other brands but not sure why.
Actually its the other way around, Nikon has as I said between the t6i and D5500 the advantage and you can see that from the review link I left.
Nikon has the better dynamic range, low light performance, sharpness and general image quality.
This is why most the professionals now days use Nikon and not Canon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back