Very little ballet dancers - 1 - Fiona

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The situation was as follows: my daughter's former ballet teacher (my daughter no longer goes to ballet) and my still gymnastics teacher asked me if I could come round to the school and take some pics of her youngest dancers (3 and 4 years old!) during practise. She wanted to have some new pics for the leaflets that she issues every month.

Light in that room is pure horror. Fluorescent light squares behind opaque glass in the ceiling and two tiny windows. The light I have is non-existent. A halogen work light and my on-camera flash. So when I now show you pics of Fiona (3) and later of Liv (4 maybe?) and Louisa (3, I should guess) (the other two girl's parents did not give me release), keep this light situation in mind and just say I made the best out of it :lol: :biggrin:.

002.jpg

This was during warm-up when they did a game that made all five of these little girls run to and fro in the practise room (kind of tiny gym or so)

010.jpg

Another little song/game where they were to play jumpingjacks (all very clever little songs/games to teach them the first steps towards ballet dancing and they never realise what all they learn!!!)

051.jpg

And another game where they were all sitting on the floor playing at cooking some soup for which they have to pick things off trees etc (stretching)

082.jpg

At the end of their 45 minutes they have to walk from the far end of the room towards the teacher who is at the mirror, making themselves veeerrry tall, putting their hands on their hips and walking on tiptoe to say good-bye to the teacher

083.jpg

"Bye-bye, teacher!" They have to curtsey, of course :D.

In Fiona's case I know she is only three.
She told me as much.
Actually, before the lesson she told me "I am already very big, I am already ... " stretching her little hand towards me with only the thumb, index and middle finger sticking out. :lol:

So cute.

There's still Liv and Louisa to come.

By the way, I have seen the print-order lists ... looks good! :D
The parents seem to like these! :D

These made me smile! Little Fiona is absolutley adorable, and her heart tights and pink socks are just so sweet! After seeing these I called Aubrey and said I wanted to enroll Evelyn in dance as soon as she's old enough :D #1, 3 & 4 are my favorite of this series. You've captured her expressions so well!

Thank you so for looking.
I did most of these (especially the close-ups) with the 70-300mm zoom lens, which isn't very fast to begin with. So 1600 ISO was a must (unfortunately) at almost all times ... ah well, a faster lens with IS ... a dreeeeaaaam!

Thank you so for looking.
I did most of these (especially the close-ups) with the 70-300mm zoom lens, which isn't very fast to begin with. So 1600 ISO was a must (unfortunately) at almost all times ... ah well, a faster lens with IS ... a dreeeeaaaam!

Yep - A good lens rates far above a good digital camera. I'm shooting with a D80 now but with a lens only worth a few hundred.

It's like spending 10K on a great audio amp and using it on cheap speakers. One day I will upgrade my lens...

I sort of take that back (about relating it to a 10K audio amp). A D80 isn't really worth all that much. But your lenses should be. And I am guilty of not putting my money into them, where your money should be spent.

Thanks, Tyson.
My personal favourite is 3, I like how that old worklight (with wall paint sticking to it and whatnot) makes her eyes shine as it came to here from the other side at an angle, while the on-camera flash (set to -1 or -1.5) lighted this side of her face.

I do know, of course, that we thus have a conflict of yellow and "blue" (white) light, but that is what I had to go with...

Most reactions

Back