ViciCam F127

kitkatjoe23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question about fix focus lens in general. If a digital camera has a fix focus lens how can it have a 4x digital zoom. The F127 has both. This makes no sense to me. I have listed this camera as an example so you may explain this to me. If it is fixed focus what moves or zooms?

Thanks

Digital zoom mean zoom digitally. Just like when you view a photo in your computer,tablet or smart phone, the software allow you to zoom in and out.

Thanks I understand that, but how does a fix focus lens that does not move zoom? I can not see how you can have both in a camera.

The lens does NOT zoom. As Dao said, the firmware in the camera zooms in on the digital image, just as you would on your computer.

I think you mean "fixed focal length", NOT fixed focus, and yes, there is a difference.

The focal length does not change, so what is happening is the internal firmware "zooms" by cropping away the edges of the frame, leaving the middle, so it looks as if it has "zoomed", when actually nothing has physically changed.

when you have a camera with a zoom lens that moves what role does firm ware play? Is it the same as a lens with a fixed lens?

I think search "Optical Zoom vs Digital Zoom" should give you some idea.

Thank you very much for the replies.

when you have a camera with a zoom lens that moves what role does firm ware play? Is it the same as a lens with a fixed lens?
In that case, the firmware is not cropping the image.

If the lens moves, then it is changing physically (getting longer or shorter) which means the focal length is actually changing. This is called "optical zoom" to differentiate it from "digital zoom" in which the lens does not change length. Usually a camera will do either one, but not both in the same camera.

And before somebody climbs all up in my face about that last sentence; yes, the more advanced cameras actually will, but that is for some other discussion.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back