Video about the basics for beginners

Nice video, i enjoy watching it. Thanks.

(just my opinion) This is still to much info for someone picking up their dslr for the first time. There is no reason at this point of their learning to understand how an f-stop cuts the light by half and so on. All these details are important at some point but does little to get them out shooting. This is more for a person that already knows how to expose a shot.

How does someone learn to properly expose a shot without a basic understanding of aperture, shutter speed and asa/iso? Most folks get a DLSR charge the battery and go out and shoot away, knowing nothing about photography. In today's world of instant gratification you point the camera, hold the shutter release and take a hundred or more photos hoping one of them is worth a damn then delete the rest.

I got my first camera in 1970, if you didn't learn the basics of photography & exposure... you wasted a lot of money and/or time developing the film to see you had nothing but crap.

Last edited:
How does someone learn to properly expose a shot without a basic understanding of aperture, shutter speed and asa/iso? Most folks get a DLSR charge the battery and go out and shoot away, knowing nothing about photography. In today's world of instant gratification you point the camera, hold the shutter release and take a hundred or more photos hoping one of them is worth a damn then delete the rest.

I got my first camera in 1970, if you didn't learn the basics of photography & exposure... you wasted a lot of money and/or time developing the film to see you had nothing but crap.

This is my mom. :( She had a bridge camera, that she liked, but never took it out of auto. Someone at work sold her a Canon T2 with a 70-300 lens for $100, and she was pretty excited. Yesterday we were talking about my recent fun with birds, and she said "You're doing great, I think I need a better camera behind my lens, all my shots are out of focus."

This video has been posted several times in recent months.

TPF has a search feature that can lead you to useful information others have already discovered and shared here.

I have actually found this site to have a poor search function compared to other forums I frequent.

Nice video. I would agree that it's very basic in nature.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back