video with the 50d? you betcha.

robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se2Tbfgrlho"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se2Tbfgrlho[/ame]

click the pic to play video.

Last edited:
so um, how do we know it was done with a 50D.

I guess you just have to trust me... I could use my iphone to make a video of myself making a video with my 50d... that's a lot of work though.

I briefly read up on this before. You can also get video on the D700 too. Are you using you using the Canon camera control program then record the LiveView feed? Only problem with video these camera is that there's no mic built into them.

The segment from 00:41 to 00:46 was excellent, and well-framed. The telephone call segment was kind of too long. The dead-still camera, with no movement, took me back to history of film classes and the very-earliest films, where there was absolutely no concept of moving the camera, in any way. I had a hard time watching the entire clip.

Cool that you found a way to get video out of your 50d. I agree with Derrell though, very laborious to watch. I think that maybe all of your individuals clips are too long. Also, I think more variety of angles would have been good. The same shot of you grabbing your coffee however many times just doesn't work for me.

by the way, did you know you can get ISO3200 on the XTi?

Heh, have you ever shot ISO 3200 on an XTi? I have, and I can assure you, it's not worth it. :)

That hack (or whatever you want to call it) is good for one thing, really, Spot Metering.

I briefly read up on this before. You can also get video on the D700 too. Are you using you using the Canon camera control program then record the LiveView feed? Only problem with video these camera is that there's no mic built into them.

Yeah that's the only thing I could think of. There's no mod that I know of to record in-camera, so its likely running teathered and screen capping the live feed. I remember reading about this shortly after I got my 50D, and determined it totally wasn't worth it. Besides having to record audio separately, you have to be tied to a computer of some kind. Meh.

yeah the tethering does limit what you can do, and it's a shame that the resolution is a shade under 720, but hey, I have a netbook, which is super-light and I keep it in my camera bag. That's good enough for me. I also have a pretty high quality USB mic that records amazing audio. So, for now, I am at least a little sated in my desire to record video with an SLR.

Thanks for the video critiques, by the way... not really what I was looking for, but thanks all the same. I really just wanted to test out the video capture program. I was recording little clips at work (these are all clips of me doing actual work) and then I threw them together in AE and put some music to it. The last part where the coffee cup has a face was the only clip that I really put some thought into. Next time, I'll try to remember that all of America has ADD and my clips are generally way too long.

Most reactions

Back