Viewing RAW files on MS

mman2648

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I download my pictures to my computer using MS. I have even installed MS RAW Viewer. However, I still cannot get RAW files to show on MS. What should I do? Or should I downloard pictures to another source.

I'm guessing that by "MS", you mean a Windows operating system?

Anyhow... I don't know much about MS RAW Viewer, but there are hundreds of different RAW formats in circulation. I can't believe that it covers them all. You're simplest route would be to use the RAW viewer that came with your camera (btw, what camera are you using?).

Bear in mind, though, that viewing RAW files without actually processing them will be a very unsatisfying experience. Unprocessed RAW files look like garbage... seriously. You really need some application that will allow you to process them.

My camera is a Canon Rebel Xsi. As you can tell, I am new at photograph. So are there viewers that i can download? I can view the files with the EOS Utility that came with the camera but was wanting to store them and see them on the computer. The other pictures (not RAW files) are easier to view on the computer.

There are all kinds of converters out their, go to Canon. There was a huge problem from Nikon and Windows 64 bit, in which they do not have a raw image viewer. I shoot Nikon, and just use LR3. I know canon does not, to the best of my knowledge, still have this issue. Windows 7 64 bit?

My camera is a Canon Rebel Xsi. As you can tell, I am new at photograph. So are there viewers that i can download? I can view the files with the EOS Utility that came with the camera but was wanting to store them and see them on the computer. The other pictures (not RAW files) are easier to view on the computer.

Ohhhh... I see... a Canon user (lol). Well, unfortunately, I shoot Nikon exclusively, so I'm really only familiar with Nikon software off the top of my head.

I would imagine that, as with Nikons, Canon includes software that will let you import and save the RAW files, or export them as JPEGs. Honestly, I'm not sure... hopefully a Canon user can help you out with that. I know that Nikon also offers a free Windows "codec" for it's RAW files that allow you to see thumbnails of them in Windows Explorer.

And, again, although I understand that you want to view them on your machine... there is still the problem of processing. You really have to process RAW files to make them look good, at all... and that means having software dedicated to processing RAW files, not just viewing them. I've always used Lightroom and Photoshop... but there are many other options out there.

Thanks.....just went to you website. AMAZING photos!

Ohhhh... I see... a Canon user (lol). Well, unfortunately, I shoot Nikon exclusively, so I'm really only familiar with Nikon software off the top of my head.

I would imagine that, as with Nikons, Canon includes software that will let you import and save the RAW files, or export them as JPEGs. Honestly, I'm not sure... hopefully a Canon user can help you out with that. I know that Nikon also offers a free Windows "codec" for it's RAW files that allow you to see thumbnails of them in Windows Explorer.

And, again, although I understand that you want to view them on your machine... there is still the problem of processing. You really have to process RAW files to make them look good, at all... and that means having software dedicated to processing RAW files, not just viewing them. I've always used Lightroom and Photoshop... but there are many other options out there.

My only problem with Nikon, is they fail us in Windows 7 64 bit. They do not have a codec, and no plans for producing one to date. If I am wrong, please correct me.

My only problem with Nikon, is they fail us in Windows 7 64 bit. They do not have a codec, and no plans for producing one to date. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I'm actually still lagging behind in Vista on both my desktop and laptop... so, I'm not really sure. I'm getting around to Windows 7 eventually...

Save yourself some trouble, stick w the 32 bit version. It's better for raw (Well, depending on your workflow)

Coleman, like your site, well done!

To view raw files in a Windows machine you can use Fast Picture Viewer Codec pack, they charge $9.99 for the new version, but you can still get the old free version from PC World. With the free codec pack you will be able to view raw files from any camera model released before February of this year.

Last edited:
mman2648 and SageMark, thanks for the feedback! I did a huge overhaul on the site on couple months ago and, after a couple dozen different attempts, I think I'm finally satisfied with the way it turned out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back