ViewNX2 vs. Adobe Photoshop

What was your bad experience with lightroom? I'm not having a go at you, of course we don't all have to like the same software, I'm just curious.
Can't just edit a photograph the best I can tell. It always wants to "Catalog" everything and I don't want that. Admittedly I didn't use it very much so I could wall have missed something.

What was your bad experience with lightroom? I'm not having a go at you, of course we don't all have to like the same software, I'm just curious.
Can't just edit a photograph the best I can tell. It always wants to "Catalog" everything and I don't want that. Admittedly I didn't use it very much so I could wall have missed something.

That's true, Lightroom catalogue does seem to be a bit 'my (Adobe) way or the highway', guess it just depends if you're OK with the cataloging system, I find it OK but I can see how you might not.

Thank you all for the input I feel much more informed now. I am also interested in the Capture NX2 software if anyone has used it and would like to share their experience with it.
For now I think I will stick with the free software since I am just starting out I am going to get the trials for Lightroom and Photoshop and see how I like them.

That's true, Lightroom catalogue does seem to be a bit 'my (Adobe) way or the highway', guess it just depends if you're OK with the cataloging system, I find it OK but I can see how you might not.
I already have a photograph database that works fine for me so I neither want nor need a second one. Besides, the way Adobe does it is terribly inefficient. The database I use uses 1.67gb in 489 files for about 50,000 photographs. Lightroom created 50 THOUSAND files in nearly 36 THOUSAND directories and required 8.78gb for the same 50,000 photographs. Actually the space in use is 5 to 6 times that amount since the vast majority of those files are only around 11kb in size, well below the 64kb cluster factor on my disk drive.

Thank you all for the input I feel much more informed now. I am also interested in the Capture NX2 software if anyone has used it and would like to share their experience with it.
For now I think I will stick with the free software since I am just starting out I am going to get the trials for Lightroom and Photoshop and see how I like them.

I have it, and have never felt the need to pony up for PS or LR.

Yep. As a database management application Lightroom leaves a lot to be desired.
Phase One Media Pro is a popular option..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back