Vignetting Polarizer

Boney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This picture was shot with a Hoya CPL, that was touted as extra thin, 77 mm dia, which I paid dearly for. What concerns me is the vignetting that this polarizer caused. Is this typical? I guess it can be corrected for but I was a little surprised that it is so significant. The picture itself is of no significance but when viewing thumbnails it stands out vividly, but when viewing the full size picture it is not quite so apparent.

$DSC_0979 Sm.jpg

I wonder how much of that is due to the lens itself? Many lenses have a pretty fair amount of light falloff at their wider aperture settings. A lot of zooms do not haver even illumination until stopped down to f/8; if this was shot with something like a 70-300 or 55-250 that's f/5.6 at the long end, and you were wide-open, the dark corners might not be due to the filter as much as to the lens's inherent unevenness of illumination.

I pulled your EXIF info, but there's not enough data to really analyze the shot...no focal length, no f/stop, no lens.

Sorry about the EXIF data, I was trying out an EXIF editor. Here are two more shots, greatly reduced in size. The one that shows just birds you can see the vignetting all around the birds. In the other shot which shows some beach in the foreground, only the sky appears to be vignetting. The lens is a 28-300 Nikon full frame zoom lens on a D800E. I don't think the lens is doing this because of my shots without the polarizer I don't see this vignetting.
$DSC_0929 sm.jpg$DSC_0973 sm.jpg

That's not the frame of the filter causing the vignetting.

Take a look at this test photo, shot at infinity on full-frame...at 200 to 300mm, at f/5.6, the lens shows a pretty fair amount of light fall-off at f/5.6. At f/8, it's better

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm#fo

Not sure if you know your camera has a built-in setting for vignetting control, which can be turned off, or set to various strengths. I cannot imagine at telephoto lengths that the filter would vignette...

Take a look at this test photo, shot at infinity on full-frame...at 200 to 300mm, at f/5.6, the lens shows a pretty fair amount of light fall-off at f/5.6. At f/8, it's better

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm#fo

Not sure if you know your camera has a built-in setting for vignetting control, which can be turned off, or set to various strengths. I cannot imagine at telephoto lengths that the filter would vignette...

First of all thanks for the information. I always learn something here. I did not know the D800E had built in vignette correction. Moving from the D7000 to the D800E was not as simple as I expected and I am constantly learning more of the subtle features.

Yeah, these new, advanced Nikons over the last five years have grown in complexity and customization. The sheer NUMBER of options now is almost mind-boggling. For example, this vide requires about 32 minutes to go through the "main" features on the D800/D800e. YIKES!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back