Vista or XP

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Well... I'm finally ready to add a computer. Although I'm a Mac fan, I'm sticking with Windows since everything else is in place.

I can still buy a computer with XP Pro. It's what I know.

Is it time to jump to Vista? I'll be running CS2. Nothing else.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
-Pete

Stick with XP Pro. I have another computer with Vista and it gives me problems with some software and some other things. XP gives me no issues.

Agreed with the programming issues and new software. It's weird how it administrates stuff and asks you every freaking damn time, would you like to continue. It seems as though this or that is trying to harm your computer, would you like to keep going. It took me about a month and a half to get completely used to how Vista runs

~Michael~

Agreed with the programming issues and new software. It's weird how it administrates stuff and asks you every freaking damn time, would you like to continue. It seems as though this or that is trying to harm your computer, would you like to keep going. It took me about a month and a half to get completely used to how Vista runs

~Michael~

You can disable that if it's too much of a bother.

Vista is ace compared to XP, in my experience. I've been using it for about 18 months now, and my computer is still nice and zippy without any care to keep it clean or organised; Vista's automatic defragmentation is excellent.

I always managed to bog XP down, regardless of how much effort I made in keeping it clean.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I hate going back to XP now. I use it at work, and it's rubbish*

*opinion, once again.

If all your doing is photo editing and websurfing then there is not need to move to vista - the real (and about only) reason is for gaming where only vista supports DirectX10 - (and not those vista only games, they were cracked in about a week ;))

Oh and as for that program that askes for your permision everytime you run something - here is how to turn it off:
Go to your user control panel (the place where you set your password and little computer ava) - that is start:top right click on the little image.
Once in the new window open up the bottom option on the list - called "Turn user account control on/off" Once on the new page untick (click once) on the box and save settings.

And there you go - all you will get now is a little warning box in the bottom right of your computer when you first turn it on - telling you that it is off. Than this warning vanishes in moment anyway and then won't bother you at all. Its not even a good security feature as any hacker just has to name their virus "Windows critical update" or something like that and 99% of people will click ok

You can disable that if it's too much of a bother.

Vista is ace compared to XP, in my experience. I've been using it for about 18 months now, and my computer is still nice and zippy without any care to keep it clean or organised; Vista's automatic defragmentation is excellent.

I always managed to bog XP down, regardless of how much effort I made in keeping it clean.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I hate going back to XP now. I use it at work, and it's rubbish*

*opinion, once again.

I agree with the above...though I don't have any problems with XP (I use it at work as well).

I'm going to vote XP... mostly from my experience of dealing with customer machines running Vista.

At home.. no Windows boxes there.

No.... no surfing. STRICTLY photo editing. I don't intend to add it to the network.

It's starting to look like Vista would be the way to go.

Thanks to all for the input thus far!

-Pete

Why?
Vista is openly admited to working on a higher system drain than XP (on service pack 2 and 3) which means more of your computers speed is going to running the OS and not your editing programs
Further its a large OS to install, and whilst you will probably have a large harddrive on the computer anyway - why waste space on the OS
Finally if you do go vista I emplor you to get the ultimate edition - its far more stable and smooth running than the other editions - its worth spending a little more on the full OS which works rather than dealing with the problems later on (though vista has got better over time, ultimate is still more stable)

OK.... It's done.

I went with XP Pro. The deciding factor was cost. The machine I bought has just 2gb of memory. I'm told Vista wants more.

This is what I ordered.

A big THANK YOU to all who weighed in.

-Pete

Cost? Then why not use Hackintosh or Linux? Both are better OS's and both cheeper than XP Pro. Oh well. :D

Four reasons to buy XP if you can still get it:-

1) Vista is a system hog, and you need monstrous specifications to get the same performance as a much lower spec machine running XP

2) Vista won't run some of the popular software out there, and in some cases there isn't yet a Vista version

3) Vista is (still) full of bugs and I know lots of users who constantly have problems with it

4) Vista is designed to spy on your computer usage and report on it to Microsoft. This is secret so you don't know what it's monitoring, and you can't turn it off. One example is checking for "illegal" music downloads

I will never run Vista, mainly for reason (4). When the time comes that I can no longer get a machine that will run XP (and that will happen, as XP drivers are not being produced for hardware components developed since Vista was announced), at that point I'll switch either to Mac or Linux. I know many people with this view and intention.

5) You want to support a corporation that promotes and practices eugenics in 3rd world nations.

fwiw.... i've been running a Vista machine since last november without any trouble whatsoever....

i remember people used to the same thing when xp came out.... stick with windows98 it's better....

who's still using windows 98?

None of you clearly use any form of colour management. On a photography forum this question is a no brainer.

Vista when it pops up a UAC window, or an application crashes and it greys the background clobbers the monitor correction curves. Yes that's right, windows XP didn't provide the option to load video LUT curves from the ICC profile, and Vista takes the glorious leap backwards in actively resetting them every ****ing time you want to do something as basic as install a piece of software.

Forget the other bugs, the slowness, the interface which completely screws your chance of running a computer at any kind of speed with less than 1.5GB of ram while at the same time not supporting more than 3.5GB (another reason not to use it for photo editing, anyone here do panoramas?) .....

I could go on but if the two points above aren't blatently enough to turn you off Vista I would just be wasting my breath. Christie you made the right choice in my opinion. Vista will always have it's supporters, but then so did Windows ME.

fwiw.... i've been running a Vista machine since last november without any trouble whatsoever....
i remember people used to the same thing when xp came out.... stick with windows98 it's better....
who's still using windows 98?

Paradigm shift mate. You should be asking who would still run Windows 98 if you could do on it everything that you can do on Windows XP. Maybe one day when Photoshop CS5, directx 10, or another program I desperately need drags me to upgrading by the short and curlies I will join you. The place I work just caved into Vista so I'm forced to there. But if I actually looked forward to that kind of pain I'd join an S&M club. At least it's more fun.

Installing a new system for the privilage of things no longer working and running much slower than they were previously is not something I consider an upgrade.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back