Vitaman wide angle converter

Bukitimah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
razzi.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently, I came across this wide angle converter. A pre-owned unit cost around USD 70 against a Tokina USD 700. I saw a shot taken but couldn't tell if it is a big difference. Obviously, I cannot expect a same result with a fraction of the cost. More importantly, I just want to know if it is worth the trouble or just carrying another item in your bag. If you have any experiences, do share. One site I visited shows various photos taken using such converters. Unfortunately, he didn't point out what is the problems. I saw both cannon and nikon also carry such products. Would theirs or people like Raynox be a better choice?

Far as I know almost all the wide angle converters are made for the point and shoot market instead of the DSLR market. This is mostly because point and shoots can't change the lens, so to get wider you have to use an adaptor; whilst for DSLRs you just attach the right lens. As a result few if any are really corrected, made and calibrated for the DSLR type system.

In addition I've yet to actually read any favourable review concerning a Wide Angle adaptor. All tend to give the same answer that it "works" but reduces image quality considerably and that many will end up simply not using it because of the image quality drop being so significant. I'm fully willing to accept that there might be quality units out there, but I would hazard that they are pitched toward the video recording market and might also come with a high price tag upon them (to the point where a DSLR user would just buy a regular proper wide angle lens).

Raynox I've good experiences with in their macro lens attachments, so if any I'd expect them to make a good wide angle adaptor; however it might be less than suitable on a DSLR.

Honestly I'd say save for the right lens and until then learn to stitch shots together to get a composite wider angle view (for scenes that are mostly if not totally static).

Hey Overread, thanks for your response. I have the tamron 17-50 f2.8 and also the Nikon afd 50 f1.8. At 50, the nikon is definitely the better lens imo. I bought the tamron more for the 17mm wide angle.

What do you think if I trade the tamron for tokina 11-16 f2.8? In this arrangement, I most likely need to switch to the nikon afd when I am shooting at 50 mm, which would likely be for street shots.

Most reactions

Back