Vivitar v2000 project

Well the "Sw1tchfx" above is obviously not an engineer. He makes Pizza's for a living. I tinker with adapting lenses to work on Leica cameras. Paid for M9 and M Monochrom.

Full-frame cameras run $1500, used. The Nikon D600 broke the $2K barrier just recently. Adapting mechanical cameras and lenses can be done with machining, adapting digital and electronic cameras- once you get into the subsystems level- is hard. The camera back is inexpensive, and is a good starting point. Buying and taking apart used/broken digital cameras- a major undertaking. High-Megapixel camera backs exist for medium format cameras, and remain expensive. Kodak made a 6MPixel back for the N90 and for the Hasselblad. They would be the least expensive option. The Kodak DCS760 was a 6MPixel Nikon F5, the difference being it had a new body covering and did not come apart as did the DCS460. The "KAF-6300" has a 1.3x crop factor, and dynamic range that competes with "Modern Digital Cameras".

Attachments

• $sonnar_160.jpg
    $sonnar_160.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 182
  • $coated_sonnar2.jpg
    $coated_sonnar2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Well the "Sw1tchfx" above is obviously not an engineer. He makes Pizza's for a living. I tinker with adapting lenses to work on Leica cameras. Paid for M9 and M Monochrom.

Full-frame cameras run $1500, used. The Nikon D600 broke the $2K barrier just recently. Adapting mechanical cameras and lenses can be done with machining, adapting digital and electronic cameras- once you get into the subsystems level- is hard. The camera back is inexpensive, and is a good starting point. Buying and taking apart used/broken digital cameras- a major undertaking. High-Megapixel camera backs exist for medium format cameras, and remain expensive. Kodak made a 6MPixel back for the N90 and for the Hasselblad. They would be the least expensive option. The Kodak DCS760 was a 6MPixel Nikon F5, the difference being it had a new body covering and did not come apart as did the DCS460. The "KAF-6300" has a 1.3x crop factor, and dynamic range that competes with "Modern Digital Cameras".

Wow these cameras are really neat. I would love to get good at modifying cameras, seems like a really fulfilling hobby to have. I think I will buy another camera body like Horngreen suggested and modify it with the parts from a camera back. I am not sure how good the 6MP camera back is, and I would rather gain the experience tinkering with a camera that I care about a little bit less. If all works out great then I will move up to more and more complicated projects.

I worked with "Digital Imagers" throughout the 1980s. My boss asked what would happen when film became unavailable. Told him I would buy a broken Nikon F36 motor drive and convert it to a digital back for my Nikon F. That was in 1988, 25 years later- film is still available. Enjoy it! 35 years as an Engineer, coming into an electronics lab is still a great way to start the day. "Off the Clock", tinkering with lenses is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
If this camera is truly important to you then I would strongly consider trying it with another one you can find at a pawn shop before hacking into your grandfathers old camera.
...or truer yet to your grandfather...buy a roll of 35mm

I have to agree with this post along with mine ;). You want to do something very cool that would require the same skills without the same headaches then turn an old $5 roll film box camera into a digital camera. Now that would turn some heads. Films not that inconvenient it just requires a waiting period. I'm no engineer by any means and I too love to tinker but this project sounds WAY difficult and I'd hate to think in the end your memory of this camera is that it ended up in pieces in a box in the closet never to work again.

If this camera is truly important to you then I would strongly consider trying it with another one you can find at a pawn shop before hacking into your grandfathers old camera.

I have to agree with this post along with mine ;). You want to do something very cool that would require the same skills without the same headaches then turn an old $5 roll film box camera into a digital camera. Now that would turn some heads. Films not that inconvenient it just requires a waiting period. I'm no engineer by any means and I too love to tinker but this project sounds WAY difficult and I'd hate to think in the end your memory of this camera is that it ended up in pieces in a box in the closet never to work again.

Yea, I think I will begin with something similar to this: Konica Auto S2 35mm Film Camera + Case & Manual | eBay
Doesnt look to complicated, and would work great as a mirrorless camera, and I would work my way up from there.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's much easier to buy a mirrorless camera and then adapt the lens from a camera such as the Konica S2. If you do a good job with it, some minimal custom machining required: "people pay good money for it!"

50mm Jupiter 3 f/1.5 Information

I paid for the pair of Leica's mostly by selling lenses, most of them adapted. I also posted the step-by-step instructions online. I would like to see a real camera technician offer this as a service.

I bought a couple of busted 35 RF's, took the lenses off, and adapted to a mirrorless camera. Did it for fun, but you could make a paying hobby of it. A Konica 30/1.9 from a half-frame camera adapted to an Olympus u43 camera:

676244DC11A443BD8C9AF6AFA4A388CC.jpg

Was-

261192986465453EAA2143A61EFCE180.jpg

189A02B8C2784D5D95BB3E78E82AB45E.jpg

I have to say, that modified Olympus looks really nice. Have you ever attempted to put a mirrorless into the body (with the lens) of a rangefinder? That is something that I would like to do. Make something that competes with all of the new ILCs.

I have a Konica Auto S2, that's a nice little rangefinder with a good lens and I've gotten some good pictures with mine. I'd hate to see one of those destroyed.

I would think your best option rather than to tear up one of your dad's or grandfather's cameras would be to find something more run of the mill that's nonworking and being sold for parts - then use that if you want to create a 'frankencamera'. Sounds like a creative project if you can find something usable that's along the lines of a junk store find to tinker with.

I have a Konica Auto S2, that's a nice little rangefinder with a good lens and I've gotten some good pictures with mine. I'd hate to see one of those destroyed.

I would think your best option rather than to tear up one of your dad's or grandfather's cameras would be to find something more run of the mill that's nonworking and being sold for parts - then use that if you want to create a 'frankencamera'. Sounds like a creative project if you can find something usable that's along the lines of a junk store find to tinker with.

I have never really experienced what film has to offer, other than my memories as a child with having to wait for 1 hour (which really ended up being the next day when going to the store) for the pictures to develop. I understand the art with developing images, and it sounds really great, except its not exactly something that I have time for (and its not on the top of my lists of things to do either). I see how it can appear that taking apart a viewfinder is a major waste of a good tool, and you probably wouldn't be wrong in many respects.

The way I see it, is that I love tinkering. I have done that since I was a kid. I modified and built things in creative ways. I am not doing this directly for the sake of photography (although it can help those torn between their old cameras and digital), I am doing this for the sake of engineering. Taking something good for one thing, and making it good for something else.

I've never converted a film camera to digital, "was not the shortest path". The draw of mirrorless cameras, including Leica, is being able to adapt lenses to use on the body.

For fixed-lens film cameras, I usually try to repair them to the best of my ability. I stop short of a complete teardown of the shutter mechanism. Lots of time required, cameras with working shutters can be found. I've combined parts from 4 broken Canonets to make one with great lens, shutter, rangefinder- and looks good too.

BUT: You want to convert a film camera to mirrorless. You need a camera with a shutter mechanism that is normally OPEN to allow viewing, closes when the release is pressed, opens again for the picture,and closes again. Just like a modern mirrorless shutter: always open, closes-takes the picture-then opens again. "Not many film cameras do that"...

Kodak Retina Reflex-S, circa 1959. Behind the lens shutter mechanism that sits in front of the reflex mirror. Finding a Retina Reflex-S with working shutter AND a prism that has not desilvered is almost impossible. I found one with a working shutter, and replaced the Prism with one from a 1980s Minolta SLR. So mine is Great, not parting it out. Uses 35mm film.

AND Kodak Instamatic Reflex. Electronic Shutter, Aperture-preferred Automatic. Means more limited ISO. Uses 126 cartridges, I quit using mine. CHEAP!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KODAK-INSTA...172208667?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3ccf13a41b

I left off the Retina reflex III and IV- much more complicated metering mechanism, hard to work on. The Reflex-S is much easier.

SO: Your project,
1) Find a retina Reflex-S with working shutter, Prism condition with regard to desilvering- not a problem.
2) The Reflex Mirror and baffle at the film gate needs to be removed, or locked in the UP position. It is all spring-loaded.
3) The camera has X-Sync at ANY Shutter speed, 1-sec through to 1/500th second. Standard PC cord Sync.
4) Remove the back, position the CMOS sensor at the film gate.
5) make a Sync circuit to detect when the shutter is Open, trip the CMOS to take the image. Depending on the specifics of the Mirror mechanism, you could use the Camera's mechanism that actuate the mirror as a trigger to turn on the CMOS detector, then let the camera's shutter make the actual exposure. Depends on the start up time of the CMOS sensor.

You could look at Digikey and other places for a Developer's Kit for a CMOS sensor. Truesense sells one for the new u43 CMOS sensor, other manufacturers also sell them. These allow prototyping and development of new cameras. They might not be cheap, you might look around for these used- like after a company is finished with them. If any of the engineering professors are into photography, this would be a good project for school.

Last edited:
I don't have the technical expertise to understand all of this (although I'm following these type threads to pick Brian's and others' brains a little), but are there other 126 cameras that could work for this type project? I have one of the Kodak Reflex Instamatics (thrift store find) and was thinking there's more room in the interior of some of those type cameras to accomodate the film cartridge, isn't there? - since there wasn't a need with those to feed roll film across a pressure plate from one spool to another.

I know of people hacking a couple of cameras together for a particular purpose (or doing battery conversions on old Polaroids etc.), it just seems like people who love film cameras typically use common dime a dozen type cameras to work on instead of ones that still have some value or collectibility or meaning as a family momento. You might be glad later on if you go with using some cheapie camera for what sounds like an interesting project.

I have a basement full of parts cameras, many with shutters beyond my skill to repair. With those- I have no problem cutting the lenses out and adapting to a mirrorless camera. I gave the Hexanon 30/1.9 to a friend at work today to use on a Panasonic u43. I picked up a Rollei 126 camera with 40/3.5 Sonnar on it. Camera was broken, I took the lens out. Need to decide what to mount it in.

The Instamatic Reflex- these ran $20 at camera shows, with the 50/1.9 Xenon lens. I put the lens on the Reflex-S. Converting the 126 camera to use 35mm film: some have done it, but you will need to make a new back for it. Instamatic film was paper-backed, and the camera back has a clear window on it.

But Tonight's project: $25 Zoom-Nikkor 43~86/3.5, one of the first run of lenses, about the 1000th made, 50 year old zoom lens. Aperture was stuck, oil. Popped all the glass, flood cleaned, back together. 90minutes. Looks great, perfect glass. Probably developed the aperture problem early on, and got shelved. I'll start a thread on collectible lenses.

I went out and bought two cheap cameras at my local thrift store, and posted an ad on craigslist for broken/unwanted cameras. So far I am getting a good few responses.

But here are the two cameras I have right now:
$IMAG0210.jpg

An Afga Afgamatic Ia and a Polaroid 635CL.

I figured I would start with the polaroid, was only 10$, and it looks like it has a lot of working room on the inside once the mechanics are stripped out. I feel bad (possibly) ruining this camera, but I have a feeling its not going to work anyways. The battery in this cartridge is dead and I am not spending the ridiculous price for the new cartridges.

For the Afga, the bottom gets removed easy, and it looks it would have a lot of room too on the inside once I grind down some of that plastic. There might be shuttle mechanisms in there, but I will be removing the shutter so its not a big deal. I will do that project though after I do the polaroid. All I need now is a decent digital camera, and I think I might be getting one for free.

Update: I just got offered an old Kodak easyshare C310. Not exactly my camera of choice, but it is free and and everything works. I could try to get it working on the Polaroid and later strip out the digital camera parts if I get another donor camera.

Last edited:
Remember that a Point and Shoot camera has a sensor the size of a postage stamp.

The lowest price micro-43 mirrorless cameras run just a little over $100, an Olympus EPL1 would be a good starter. The lens comes off, and the flange-distance is small. You could make a holder to move it into position, not modify the camera at all.

Yea, I think I will begin with something similar to this: Konica Auto S2 35mm Film Camera + Case & Manual | eBay
Doesnt look to complicated, and would work great as a mirrorless camera, and I would work my way up from there.

If you pull this off you will be "Da Man". I know if I tried it I'd get frustrated and toss it in the closet, you should see my closet.:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back