Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Absolutely Not!

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should read more carefully. I said get a life if you have problems with his STYLE. Do I really need to tell a "professional business coach" the difference between style and content? As a professional, I tend to find the content important and don't get hung up on style as long as it is literate but then I have 50 years experience, not over 10 as you do.

skieur

It is EXACTLY his STYLE that is in question here (in other words his behavior). And my experience referenced is in HUMAN BEHAVIOR. I only mentioned it to establish my creditability to speak to such matters. Unless you have 50 years of experience as a human behavior professional, your experience level is irrelevant in this discussion since it is about Max's BEHAVIOR when delivering feedback, not his technical ability as a photog.

While you may not get hung up on style, there are many others who are offended by harsh delivery when on a public forum. I would caution you not to lump everyone into the same group as you or believe that no one should be offended by offensive behavior. Is it so hard to take another's feelings into consideration when providing feedback? I have seen some excellent examples of balanced feedback on this forum, and I believe that is what people expect when asking for feedback. That does not mean that the content will be any less accurate. It does mean that it will be much better received and more likely acted upon.

... I would caution you not to lump everyone into the same group as you or believe ...

... and I believe that is what people expect ...

:lmao:

I am very surprised at this thread for one.

Also, one thing I never mentioned...is that Max...in most of the forums I've ever been active in...you probably would have been banned by now...lol.

I hope you take this thread as a learning experience, and try to be more "helpful" in your critiques. It may not be what you think is the ideal critique...but why not? I am sure you are knowledgeable enough to give said advice. I would love for a post from you on one of my photos for example to be "I would have put a light here, and added a reflector under her chin" or something....ya know?

I am very surprised at this thread for one.

Also, one thing I never mentioned...is that Max...in most of the forums I've ever been active in...you probably would have been banned by now...lol.

Something I've noticed about what I think of as the 'agressively blunt' is that they're needed too (as in 'it takes all kinds'). Depending on the degree, this tends to stir controversy. Controversy spawns participation.

Sure, aggravation is caused to (by what looks like according to the above vote), to nearly half of the voters. Then a portion of those become what I think of as 'the mob', now everyone in 'the mob' isn't wielding pitchforks, shovels and carrying torches however, they are motivated to participate. This participation encourages a reaction in the antithesis- the 'other mob.' Without 'motivated participation' from both sides, things become stagnant and approach mediocity. Much the same as the critique forum (R.I.P.) did.

What I find the most interesting is the willingness to kill something off rather than take a chance on change. Surprising to me coming from a group of 'artistic' types. But then again not, because 'establishment/readily accepted by the majority art' has to have a somewhat mediocre root or base.

These are just my untrained, uneducated, thoughts and hypothesis and not meant to pigeon-hole or offend anyone. I like folks on both sides of the line.

Also, I hope some people have gotten some issues off their chest and try to understand the other side and loosen up. Like I say, there's people I like on both sides- but I do understand if they hate each other's stupid guts for life and all that is beyond.

TO MAX and these extremley talanted photographers, what did they say about your work.

HONESTLY

cause although i have only seen a few of your pics [cause you dont post many. mmmmm i wonder why]

your not as good as you think you are. :greenpbl:

Don't nit-pick. You can see in my recent loooong post that one of the major problems I outlined was that of non-substantive positive posts, of the sort that might begin with "I feel the shot could be improved by..."

I've had my work critiqued by some extremely talented professionals. I know the drill.

see above post

sorry for the mix up in my posts hope its not too confusing

This thread has become obsolete, and all speculation about Max or anyone possibly becoming section mod has become moot, since there no longer is any Critique-Forum. So why not let it rest all together now?

Hertz, I am troubled to hear that you took issue with what we were doing but did not say anything at the time.

I'm also troubled to see that you are declaring publicly things that you are most certainly mis-remembering. I won't say anything about Motcon except that our views became polarized by the end of the panel, and that I was the one who consistently argued against the idea of an "objectively correct" critique structure. I compromised in the end on what I had to, in order to get the job done. The only other option was walking out, which I was not willing to do.

Firstly, I was once the Mod of the Critique forum. Secondly, various things on this Board have taught me when it is wise for me to keep my own counsel. I did not voice my misgivings publicly because, unlike some, I am prepared to consider that I could be wrong and because of this I will nearly always give any new venture a chance.
Besides, if I had voiced my misgivings at the time I would have been ignored. Written off as a case of 'sour grapes' because of my 'firstly'.

As for you saying I am 'mis-remembering', this shows one of your big flaws: you can only see your side of things.
I was not mis-remembering anything. I was explaining how things appeared to us outsiders. We were not privy to what was going on behind the scenes. We could only see what was happening on the outside - and that was what we saw.
You, of course, are seeing things from your PoV, which (in light of this apologia of yours) must be considered rather biased.
A clear look at things shows that indeed you were not 'objectively correct' in your approach to critique. What you were and are is 'subjectively correct' in your approach. That is to say (as I have already stated) you have a clear-cut idea of what you think makes a good image and you try to force others to accept it.
I would also point out that Motcon was not 'objectively correct' either, his view was also very subjective. Where you both actually differed was in your interpretation of 'correct'.
As there is no 'correct' way to take a picture - only ways that work and ways that don't - there is no 'correct' way to do a crit. If the two of you could have seen that past your own egos, things might have been a whole lot different.

Thanks again to everyone.

Thread locked.

Any further discussion of how to present a workable Critique forum may be discussed in other threads; any further discussion of TPF members' faults must be taken to PM. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back