w00t!

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The word "w00t", defined as "an expression of joy coined by online gamers", was crowned Word of the Year on Tuesday by the publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary.

/important announcement. You may now resume regular service

Apparently the runnerup was "facebook" as a new verb meaning 'to add someone to a list of friends on the Web site Facebook.com, or to search for people on the social networking site'. I would have guessed that one would win.

I love words, and find it interesting (and sometimes sad) to see how language evolves and becomes acceptable through use, even though it's not grammatically correct. Such as nouns being used as verbs ('to facebook'), verbs being used as nouns ('a good read') etc.

I also like to see language evolve, but I have trouble with 'w00t', mainly because it uses zeros in place of the 'o's. And that annoys me.

Whatever happened to the words of the good-ol-days that meant something real- For instance buttface and asshead?

A lot of modern language annoys me. Mostly because I agree with Orwell that "thought corrupts language, language corrupts thought."

Whatever happened to the words of the good-ol-days that meant something real- For instance buttface and asshead?
And why not assface and butthead? You can just make those up, they never get old :p

Also, "read" can be a noun according to Wikitionary, tough luck ;)

A perfect example of colloquialism run amuck.

Actually it's just the noise you make when poked up the arse with a stick.
Try it on a few people next time you go shopping and you'll see I'm right.

It is sort of funny, huh? But not nearly as funny as Van poked with a stick. Was he the poker, or the pokie?

Most reactions

Back