Wacom tablets...

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in my first year of school as a graphic designer, and I would like to get an intuos wacom tablet...I am working on a 20" imac, and was wondering whether I should just get the 4x6, or go for the 6x8...the 6x8 also has double the mouse buttons...not really sure what the advantage of that is? Thanks.

IMHO, I would go with the larger of the two. I have only played around with Wacom Tablets but there is a learning curve and the mouse must be used on the tablet which can be annoying until you get used to it. When I was using the tablets I felt that the more real estate that I had, the more control I had.

Definitely go with the largest size you can afford. You will find the freedom of movement and stroke capability of larger work surface a real benifit. I actually use my tablet as a mouse pad for the Intuos mouse when I am not using the pen. Also, if you are using a widescreen monitor, make sure to get a widescreen tablet.

I myself don't use the mouse on the tablet. I prefer a normal USB mouse next to the tablet. The larger the tablet, the finer the control.

So everyone thinks it's worth it to get the larger tablet. OK.
One more question...Is there any good books about using these tablets with CS3, or is it kind of just through practice?

I have an older smaller Wacom. I use the mouse for most photoshop activities but for fine detail work, the Wacom is pleasant to use. However.. a pain to use with dual monitors.. hopefully they have improved on their multi-monitor support.

I use the 6x8, but scale down the tablet area so I have a minimum of hand/wrist movement.

I don't use the pen pressure feature, so be sure to modify your brush characteristics if you do the same.

No, there are no books that I know of. Pretty much learn as you go. You will customize the buttons, pressure sensitivity, work area, etc. to suit your own needs. That's pretty much it. Just think of it as a mouse that you have been using all this time with the added benifit of pressure control, like a pen, to control strokes & brushes as you draw, and more precise control in minute details.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back