WAHOOOOOOO

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just got me a cokin filter holder, and cover in the mail today!!! Should be getting a circular polarizer in tommorow!!! Merry Christmas too mee :D Can't wait to try it out.

I had a question though, I had a UV filter on the camera, and had to take it off to put the holder on there, and am intending on leaving the holder on. So I got the cover for it, but is that enough protection??? There isn't anyway to leave the UV filter on there and put the holder on top is there???

"There isn't anyway to leave the UV filter on there and put the holder on top is there???"

If you told us the focal length of the lens in question, we could give you a reasonably educated guess. Vignetting would be the greatest concern; especially if you mount round UV filter, then triple holder + 3 filters stacked. I can't imagine why anyone would stack 3 filters unless they are chasing lurid Disneychrome like colours, but that's by the by.

With a normal or telephoto lens, you can shoot with a filter in place, although why degrade the image unnecessarily?

The Cokin cover is sufficient to protect against knocks and bruises, but not against dust settling on the lens. The round UV filter might be better at that.

Best of luck.

dont worry too much about "UV" the multi coated glass of which your lens is made will be stopping plenty of Ultraviolet radiation. people mostly use UV filters for transparent lens caps.

It's a 28-105 lens, with 58mm filter size. Thanks for the help!!!!

Ok...with the 28mm or 35mm end of the setting, you are likely to get some vignetting - the triple Cokin holder may start to block your view, especially if you are using the really really tiny 67mm square Cokin A filter holder. Best to avoid keeping the UV filter on if you are shooting at wide-angles, although you could shoot to learn the limits of vignetting.

Sounds like it'll be fine at 50mm - 105mm ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back