Wakeboarding

andrewrozell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Only my second time to post pics. Trying to work on action shots. C&C welcomed and encouraged!
wakeboarding107.jpg

wakeboarding114.jpg

wakeboarding118.jpg

wakeboarding137.jpg

The focus is a little soft on all of them and IMO they are framed too tightly. Is the softness from resizing for the net or are the originals that way too? Usually action sports shots are frame more loosely that other type of sports.

I have A few questions. 1) What camera and lens are you using? 2) Did you use auto or manual focus? 3) How tight did you crop these photos at editing? 4) ISO and other settings

It doesn't look like you had optimal lighting either...looks either hazy or overcast.

1 & 3 are underexposed, but that's all that's really wrong with them.

2 & 4 are definitely sharp, and exposed a lot better...

To answer Jeff:
1) I am shooting with a Canon 40D with a Canon 70-300 F4.5
2) I used manual focus because I figured the rope would keep the focal length constant for me.
3) I did crop these photos pretty tight.
4) I believe the ISO was at 400. Because I was shooting in less than best lighting, I shot most at 1/2000 and F4.5-5.6 depending on the direction of the boat/sun which caused the sky to get blown out.

The sharp ones (2&4) were when the sun was trying to show itself.

I don't know if the soft focus is due to the resizing... Any suggestions to get a crisper focus/shot?

View your original unedited files zoom to 100%, if they still look soft then it’s something with your lens or setting. If they look fine or better it is likely something in your editing process.

Need more info on your 70-300 is it the $550 or $1200 model lens?

I bought the lens with the camera in a bundle, but based on the price i paid for the bundle, it had to have been the $550. why do you ask?

Each camera and lens company makes different grades of lenses. Sharpness is one of major different in each grade of lens (but not the only one). I think that your lens maybe part of the reason your photos look soft. But it could also be the file saving setting in the camera and then editing. You did manual focused so it not the autofocus and it’s settings.

I have to agree that they are framed a little tightly, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but with the overcast lighting making things gray, it detracts from the quality.

Most reactions

Back