Walk around lens for DX Nikon slightly longer than my 17-50mm f/2.8?

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot a Nikon D90 (I know it's old but I still love it) and my primary walk around lens is a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. It is a wonderful lens, but it lacks a bit of reach in some of the places I like to go shoot.

I'm looking to supplement it with a walk around zoom with slightly more reach. I would consider a prime as well, but for a walk around lens I do like the convenience a zoom offers.

I have a Nikon 18-105mm and a 55-200mm but I'm not much of a fan of the build quality or IQ of either. I'd like something at least at the same level as my Sigma 17-50mm quality wise.

Budget is around $400-500. I would probably buy used to get the best glass possible for the money.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on a budget, tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (also a FX lens if you upgrade later) i owned this lens and loved it. (~$300 used)
alternatively, you can spend a little more money and get a tamron or sigma 24-70 f/2.8 with VR. (within your budget used)

Nikon's 16-80mm f/2.8~4 AF-S DX VR zoom is going to be the next step up in quality, and the price is not cheap. So, that lens is probably eliminated by budget restraints at this time. Here's a review. Nikon 16-80mm VR Review

The earlier 16-85mm lens might also be an option,and I think (not sure) you might be able to get a used one in your price range.

You're in a tough spot as to more range than the 18-105 and better quality than the 17-50...combined with the $400-$500 budget AND the need to have it be a zoom lens.

Nikon's 16-80mm f/2.8~4 AF-S DX VR zoom is going to be the next step up in quality, and the price is not cheap. So, that lens is probably eliminated by budget restraints at this time. Here's a review. Nikon 16-80mm VR Review

The earlier 16-85mm lens might also be an option,and I think (not sure) you might be able to get a used one in your price range.

You're in a tough spot as to more range than the 18-105 and better quality than the 17-50...combined with the $400-$500 budget AND the need to have it be a zoom lens.

Don't need more range than the 18-105. As a matter of fact, if that lens was sharper, it would be perfect.

I also don't HAVE to have a zoom. I'd definitely be into the right prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I had an 18-105 back in the DX days when it was a relatively new lens, but it has continually been expanded, first to the 18-135VR, and now 18-140VR...you know,I had FORGOTTEN the 28-200mm model, the AF-S one from the early 2000's...I had that with the D70 and the D2x early on...it has the range, and the mid-zone is pretty good. It's available affordably used. The 24-85mm f/3.3~4.5 AF-S (2001 intro?) is relatively good.

The best thing is the D90 has lowish MP count, so it is not uber-critical to have the best glass, the way it is on the newesrt 24-MP DX Nikons. I LIKED the 28-200 as a one-lens, weekender type zoom. The 24-85 AF-S was decent too.

12MP DX is a sort of sweet spot for moderate to average glass: it's not super-demanding of the best-in-class type lenses.

Another option is Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR

Your D90 will drive the old 28-85/105 lenses which were sharp, screw driven, and inexpensive.
Look at the old AF-D lenses for small, lightweight, inexpensive and high IQ especially for the smaller MP sensors.

I used to have a 70-300/AF lens that was sharp until I went to a higher MP sensor, then the images went to mush. So be aware of that if you ever upgrade your body of that possibly happening, though the 28-85/105s were still good IQ on my modern bodies when we had one for the Lens Across America project.

Back in the day of the D300, the go to walk around was a 16-85 3.5-5.6. They are top quality mechanicals with metal mount and heavy plastic. Very solid feeling. They are a bit long in the tooth for todays 24mp sensors but, one of these should match up quite nicely with your 12mp D90.

I know you don't want longer than the 105, but my 18-140 is very sharp, and has a metal mount.

Sooooo I came across this interesting 35-105mm Nikon. Appears to be a well-built decent lens at a decent price. Push/pull zoom may take some getting used to, but that's no big deal.

Thoughts?

Nikon 35-105mm F/3.5-4.5 AF-D Lens *52

Sooooo I came across this interesting 35-105mm Nikon. Appears to be a well-built decent lens at a decent price. Push/pull zoom may take some getting used to, but that's no big deal.

Thoughts?

Nikon 35-105mm F/3.5-4.5 AF-D Lens *52

its an older lens. not bad though, for the money.
the newer nikon 18-105 VRII is a better lens.
maybe you could consider an older 70-200?

the first gen tamron and sigma offering are pretty inexpensive now. Tokina also makes one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back