jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went out for the first time in a few weeks. Depression sucks, but getting out with the camera is great therapy.

1 Pearl Crescent on an American Aster.
oct16202103 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

2 GBH on takeoff.
oct16202104 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

3 Late season grasshopper.
oct16202105 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

4 Mudbug in the "crick"... This little fella is only about 3" (7.62cm) long. I tried to sell my Sigma 50-500mm so that I could get a 150-600mm, but the buyer lowballed, and I couldn't swallow the 80% loss on a lens that's less than a year old. I purchased a refurbished Sigma 1.4x extender to get the extra range. It could have been a better shot, but it's going to take some getting used to, and the critter was under water. With the 50-500mm at 500mm, it requires manual focusing due to loss of light with the extender. f/9 1/640 ISO 320 700mm
oct16202106 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Went out for the first time in a few weeks. Depression sucks, but getting out with the camera is great therapy.

2 GBH on takeoff.

4 Mudbug in the "crick"... This little fella is only about 3" (7.62cm) long. I tried to sell my Sigma 50-500mm so that I could get a 150-600mm, but the buyer lowballed, and I couldn't swallow the 80% loss on a lens that's less than a year old. I purchased a refurbished Sigma 1.4x extender to get the extra range. It could have been a better shot, but it's going to take some getting used to, and the critter was under water. With the 50-500mm at 500mm, it requires manual focusing due to loss of light with the extender. f/9 1/640 ISO 320 700mm
Glad you finally got out. Quit watching the news(?), that will help a lot.
Like the butterfly. Hope you didn't stick a finger in next to the crawdad.

Nice variety of subjects on your walk-about. I like them all.

Glad you finally got out. Quit watching the news(?), that will help a lot.
Like the butterfly. Hope you didn't stick a finger in next to the crawdad.
Thanks! I don't pay much attention to the news, it's not really news. ;) The mudbug was a good thirty to forty feet away. The wonders of 700mm.
Very nice set.....
Thanks!
Nice variety of subjects on your walk-about. I like them all.
Thank you!

Nice shots. We have those pretty Pearl Crescent butterflies around here also. Prefectly adequate shot of the Crawfish especially considering the light refraction at that range. I shoot a lot of Newts and Snapping Turtles that are under, and it's a challenge.

Nice set, Jeff. the little green guy is my favorite. Get out more often, be well.
Thanks! Yeah, he's pretty neat. He was sitting on a concrete bridge over an arroyo. It's very late in the season for grasshoppers, and most of them are now brown. It's kind of eerie walking through the brush, with them all around jumping non-stop, sort of like one is being followed.
Nice shots. We have those pretty Pearl Crescent butterflies around here also. Prefectly adequate shot of the Crawfish especially considering the light refraction at that range. I shoot a lot of Newts and Snapping Turtles that are under, and it's a challenge.
Thanks! I was pleased that I was able to get it, in spite of the water and distance. I was actually trying for a water snake, but the snake went under the bank, and the mudbug jumped out. Guessing it didn't want to share it's hiding place with a snake.

2 GBH on takeoff.

Yeah, my 600 mm is a pain to shoot with since it doesn't gather much light. Now I did buy a polarizing filter for it to cut down glare on water but I haven't been on the water as much as I thought I would be so it sit's in the back pack a lot. the times I did use it on water it only darkened everything, it didn't act much like a polarizer. I'll give it a try again tomorrow and see if I can make it work for me on white birds or just anything on a bright day.

Nice to go walkabout every now and again. # 2 for me. Your "mudbug" reminds me of our Marron or Yabbies.

-

The first, had you come closer to frame out distractions,
would be my favourite! :encouragement:
Thanks! I had already cropped it quite a bit, so was concerned of more loss of quality if I cropped it any more than that.
Nice to go walkabout every now and again. # 2 for me. Your "mudbug" reminds me of our Marron or Yabbies.
Thaqnks! Yes, getting out in the fresh air is always a good thing. Traditional "Crawfish season" brings around the crawfish boil, with these suckers being boiled with corn on the cob and potatoes. I don't eat them myself, but they are very popular. Most commercially available are now farmed.

Nice set! My favorite is the cricket. The background is complimentary to his green color. Getting out for nature walks helps lift my spirit. Glad you got out.

No 1 for me J.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back