Waning Light ( critique welcomed )

I love the subject matter and history, but in my opinion, the lighting is a bit harsh. The side lighting might be fine with a bit of fill, but it bothers me the way it is. I am certainly no authority when it comes to this kind of photography. Not saying I could do better, just trying to be constructive.

This is one of those images that views better large rather then small. When enlarged, I could see the little details that made it more interesting for me. Technically there were no flaws that caught my eye, but IMO without the backstory to add interest, the image would likely fail to hold my attention long.

Still lifes are difficult to stage, getting the items to tie in with each other and not look out of place is an art in itself. For example the bullet and the ball next to period accessories like a powder measure, powder bag, mold, or even a fiream in the shadows would create interest and give the viewer clues to the story. Period bills (replica or real), or a period coin purse (real or replica, as soldiers of the period rarely carried coins loose in the pocket), would all add context to the coin, and a macro of the bag seal laying on burlap would also be a good tie in.

Nice shot, well done! Do you use a metal detector to find things or are they just partially exposed and detectable with the eye?

Thanks much. The objects are buried, Kirk. I have traveled all over the state of Pennsylvania mostly with a buddy that enjoys the hobby also doing it. Research on your finds is almost as much fun as actually being out looking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back