Wanna know more about the Leica M8?

I

Iron Flatline

Hey everyone.

Sorry, don't mean to (overtly) pimp a favorite product, but the new Leica M8 website is fun.

Takes a moment to load the Flash, but it's worth it.

Leica site

Have fun. Check out how the framelines and Rangefinder work with the different focal lengths.

actually, i want to borrow your leica to play with it!

no kidding ;)

Come to Berlin. Sorry I couldn't make the meet-up, I was going to show you there...

Now that you're unemployed, come to Berlin and we'll take my Rangefinders out for the day. I'll show you how the Epson R-D1 works, too. It's actually even cooler than the M8... all of it except the images it takes.

I will gladly take you by your word :)
... however, unemployment starts only in september. at least i will not have time in june yet.

??? always ??? I don´t know how often it has been referred to...but it was only written 2 weeks ago.
The second article, while certainly more glowing, also mentions some of the same problems the first photographer points out: design flaws, color balance, slow buffer clearance etc.

However, the point being made is that a modern, and rather expensive, camera should not really exhibit such problems. Leica have a reputation to uphold and it seems like they have let themselves down this time.

Please name another rangefinder that competes? Just like any other high end product, there are negatives and positives. Would you commute to work in a Ferrari? hardly a reliable product either..

To some... $$ is not an issue (I worked hard, don't spend on anything else)... the joy of shooting a rangefinder is worth it.

These posts are the exact reason why I'm >< close to checking out of there. Too many people cuming all over themselves by propping up their egos.

Iron posted the link to help people understand the M8 (thus rangefinders). There is an excellent flash demo on how one would focus a rangefinder. He wasn't singing praise. You get Canonites and Nikonians all singing praise about their cameras. Leica shooters generally just keep to themselves shooting and enjoying until ask specifically.... you rarely see posts that state LEICA ROCKS! or something similar. Remember... this is/was the first "digital" camera from a company of mechanical expertise.

If you guys bothered to look into some of the issues, a lot of the issues brought up were/are resolved with firmware updates. Readers always post the negatives but rarely keep objective view by posting links to positive reviews.

I will give the author a lot of credit... there are many issues he brought up that I definitely agree with. None of them are deal breakers... The sad truth is that this photographer's M8 article is linked to many more times than his actually work. It is truly excellent work and real photographers would have noticed.

Over and out.

@usayit:
This thread was not intended to be a debate. I mentioned the article simply because it is worth reading.
No offense was ever intended to IronFlatline, who I have full respect for, nor any other members.
I too have stayed away for a long time because of the big mouths and egos on this forum...so I certainly agree with you there.
Cheers, Dean

However, there is a problem and the guys in the field are still discussing it
The fury is stupidly obvious to anyone who wishes to travel light, with the smallest possible film & digital set of superb tools. Only someone who traveled extensively with film M bodies and a set of its small lenses can understand the gaping hole of what we&#8217;re missing, not having a viable digi M
...written 4 days ago. Go here for more http://www.lightstalkers.org/kamber-s-leica-m8-field-test-iraq

Most reactions

Back