Want to buy a book

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to buy the Understanding Exposure book that so many of you rave about, but you need to spend $25 to get the free shipping. So...I was wondering if there is another "must read" that anyone would suggest. I am interested in shooting mostly children/families using mostly natural lighting, but am going to get a Speedlite in a couple of weeks (so breaking out of my mold a bit).

I'm sorry if this is a repetitive thread. If you know of a thread that had this same inquiry, could you just redirect me? Thanks so much!

So you'd spend another $8 to get $3 worth of free shipping? :)

Personally, I like 'Light, Science and Magic' and 'Skin'

The wheel of time series by robert jordan is pretty good

Yep!! I just bought a pair of shoes so I could get free shipping on a hat from another retailer ;)

And I REALLY am interested in learning all I can right now to improve my pictures so I know it will not be a waste.

thanks for the suggestions!!

The wheel of time series by robert jordan is pretty good

Well, I thought about it, but then I read one review which called it "Awful, Repetitive and Lame" so maybe I'll just check these out from the library:D

Robert Jordan books are great. If you get mugged, they make AWESOME weapons. Kinda like Harry Potter 4 (note, I do not support books that weigh more than the average of the target audience... fortunately, this is not the case for the Wheel of Time series, by an amazingly LARGE factor).

I would like to buy the Understanding Exposure book that so many of you rave about, but you need to spend $25 to get the free shipping. So...I was wondering if there is another "must read" that anyone would suggest. I am interested in shooting mostly children/families using mostly natural lighting, but am going to get a Speedlite in a couple of weeks (so breaking out of my mold a bit).
Have you checked out the other books by Bryan Petersen? I have 'Understanding Digital Photography' and 'Learning To See Creatively' and they're pretty good. I like 'Understanding Digital Photography' a little better than 'Learning To See Creatively'. He has a book called 'Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography' that may interest you.

And there are the 'Digital Photography Books' by Scott Kelby. I have volume 1 and 2 and they're very informative...a little different, but informative.
Personally, I like 'Light, Science and Magic'
I think every new photographer should read this book. Very good reading. The lighting diagrams are especially helpful.

since you mention, children, etc.

you might check out Annabel Williams "99 Portrait Photo Ideas". It is very basic but might be helpful.

It does make sense. Since you have to pay 3 for shipping, plus whatever shipping for the extra item that is bought, the extra item is acquired at a deeply discounted rate.

In net terms, one does end up spending more, but you do get a big discount on the second item anyway.

You would save more than 3 off whatever, because that whatever costs money to ship. You're not out 8, you spent 8 dollars extra to receive an Extra item.

pfft if you want a good book get A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin - almost considered one of the "Tolkien's" of our current fantasy era - its gritty, dark and the characters are not good nor bad but more a shade of (more human) grey - oh and this guy also knows more about medival life and warefare than many modern writers.
:)

Have you tried a book store. I hear they are starting open some of them in California these days. :mrgreen: The Borders here in my town doesn't charge shipping at all.

There's half price books where I live. And you could look on abebooks.com where they have used and new books at low prices.

Chairman approves of this message! :thumbup:

pfft if you want a good book get A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin - almost considered one of the "Tolkien's" of our current fantasy era - its gritty, dark and the characters are not good nor bad but more a shade of (more human) grey - oh and this guy also knows more about medival life and warefare than many modern writers.
:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back