Want to Hire a Pro to Shoot a Deer Head

chris_8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is fairly random, and I posted elsewhere with minimal success -so I hope it is in the right place.

About 20 years ago, right before he died, my grandpa gave me a mounted deer head that he shot in the '60s. He wasn't much of a hunter, and the deer is kind of pathetic looking - no massive trophy. The mount was a family joke for years - my grandpa was a loving, easy-going guy with a great sense of humor who embraced the joke, and always displayed "Bambi" proudly. Fast forward to today, and I have a mounted Bambi head that grosses out my wife and scares the kids, with a broken ear and a sad gaze, sitting awkwardly in my garage. I can't bear the thought of walking it to the dumpster because it reminds me so much of my grandpa, who I miss every single day, even after almost 20 years.

I had an idea: I box and ship the deer head to an established, creative, pro photographer. He/she shoots the deer in their own studio/home/anywhere, then sends me the shots, and now feeling comfortable of not losing this memento of my awesome, amazing, WW2 war hero grandpa, I let that photographer do the dirty work and dispose of Bambi forever. I'll frame the shot and hang it in a place of honor, even share it with the extended family, wife no longer creeped out, kids no longer scared.

I of course expect this to be a paid assignment at the photographer's normal rate. I'm hoping to choose someone who has a great online portfolio that I can see, and feel comfortable shipping off the poor deer forever. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks! Chris

PS - here's the deer: http://i.imgur.com/S407ZEl.jpg

I dub thee, Sir Crazy Deer Head guy!

Live proud and walk with honor.

That's not a bad mount. Missing an ear, so someone who can fake the missing ear using Photoshop would be the one you want.

Haha! Send it to me!

Send It here

Well your Grandpa killed a TROPHY, He just got him a few years early .

No need to send it off anywhere.

Put the head up against a reasonably plain background, like a grey dropcloth -
Get back 10 feet or so and snap a bunch of pictures with a decent small camera and post links to the full size pictures here.

A lot can be done with a good sharp image to start.

S407ZEl-1lll.jpg~original

Well, if you get that far, might as well have a picture of grandpa posing behind the anthers!

I'm sure you have a photographer local to you. Why not try them before trying to mail it somewhere?

No, don't get rid of it. It's a real connection with your past anf you are kidding yourself if you think your family would be happier with a photo of it hanging on the wall. Tell your Mrs if she don't want to see it you'll put it in the man cave!

Just in case you don't really want to get rid of your Grandpa's mount, but just need a less creepy solution you could consider something like this, and hang it on the wall in the garage. I agree that guy looks a little weird without an ear, but you shouldn't have to get rid of it if it's something you like and that reminds of your grandpa.

I would at least try and give it to another family member instead of tossing it...

Get back 10 feet or so and snap a bunch of pictures with a decent small camera and post links to the full size pictures here.

S407ZEl-1lll.jpg~original

This is ten times as creepy as the head itself!!

This is ten times as creepy as the head itself!!

Do you mean you have never heard of a deer with a prosthetic ear and a cloak of invisibility that he wears over his body to fool hunters?
Man, you have got to get out more.

Seriously, the guys think I've lost my mind. I can't help but crack up when I look at it. Can we get some fire back there, and maybe some lasers shooting out of the eyes? :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back