Wanting to find a great camera can you help?

Dextersmummy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi nice to meet you, I live in the UK and am looking for a new camera, I currently ave a bridge camera a Fuji S4000 finepix camera which isnt that old, but I have a little boy he is always on the move and the trouble with this is in the day time outside the photos are lovely tho inside not so good! I wanted to try to get a SLR or something much better that does not cost the earth though to buy, I dont really know what to buy I have looked on Argos and the normal places tho it all does not make sense to me which would be a good one and take professional looking photos really and in bad light to so I can take more of him inside. I really hope you can help, thanks so much x added a photo of inside and out, not to bad though looking for a little better for my beautiful angel! x

Attachments

• $dexy.jpg
    $dexy.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 179
  • $dj.jpg
    $dj.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 159
I suggest you read this article:

Everything you need to know about buying a camera | The Verge

I recommend Nikon cameras, but any DSLR brand's entry-level offerings will do.

The beach shot above needed some fill light because the boy is back lit, like from a flash unit either built into the camera or mounted on a camera hot shoe.

So you may want to consider kits (camera and a lens) similar to this - Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

To save some $$$'s (or £££'s) you could consider a refurbished or used kit.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thank you, just wondered if anyone had any personal advice and I shall read that ty x

Online you're mostly going to hear from fanboys(girls) recommending what they have.

The differences between entry-level DSLR brands are minor.

Indoors and on a budget, you're pretty much going to need to learn how to do strobed light (flash) photography.

Strobist
planet neil

Dearest mummy; The two shots that you posted are very nice. The beach shot should have had some fill flash (yes, I know it seems counterintuitive to use flash in bright sunshine, but it helps a lot to get the proper exposure.)

The indoor shot is fairly well exposed, but you need to be aware of your background elements.

As for a camera recommendation; Either a Nikon or Canon entry-level DSLR will suit your needs.

Is there a local camera club that you can join? Do any of your friends have a digital single-lens reflex camera?

What models do you find on display at your local retailers? You can shop online, but I think I would recommend that you purchase from a bricks-and-mortar establishment, even though you may have to pay a little bit more. The advantage is being able to receive service after the sale and consultation. A local merchant has a vested interest in making sure you are a satisfied customer.

Meanwhile, visit the manufacturer's websites to get the specifications.

I think if you aren't going to go gonzo with lenses and photography, a DSLR will be complete overkill for the task at hand, and due to the size and complexity may not get much use.

You may be better off continuing to use the S4000 outdoors (that 30x lens is great for candids in good light), and consider a getting different camera especially for indoors.

I'd suggest a small, pocketable, indoor camera instead of a DSLR.

Consider a "fast (aperture)" bridge camera... I'm thinking a USED LX5 available for around $200 on ebay. (there are other equivalents, but the LX5 is generally considered as doing better indoors).

Or... and this has a lot to do with your specific need... a USED GF1 w/ a 20mm f1.7 pancake lens (around $475 on Amazon). The GF1 has a much bigger sensor than the LX5 (which itself has much bigger sensor than your s4000), and the 20mm f1.7 lens is nice and fast, with or without the flash, and the GF1 is usable up to 3200 ISO if you don't mind converting the high iso "noise" into b&w "film grain". And indoors, a zoom lens is much less important than you might imagine.

AND EITHER OF THESE WILL FIT IN A POCKET or your purse so you always have it handy.

And even if you ARE going to go gonzo with lenses, you can get a very fast f2.8 zoom for the GF1, plus an external viewfinder so you have a growth path.

If budget is not as much of an issue, you can get a new LX7, or a new GX1, and get the lens separately. But trust me, if you get a used one in good working order, it will more than meet your needs.

Any camera can be "Great", its the photographer not the camera that makes a great image!

Professional results are a function of the fingers that hold the camera more than the camera itself.

Having said that a DSLR does help with a faster reaction time. (kids DO move fast ;))

Go and hold the usual suspects- Nikon, Canon, whatever and look to get a lens in the 18-70/85mm range in a f/2.8 range along with an OEM flash (yes 3rd party flashes are cheaper but for ease of use you can't go wrong with the camera's brand flash).

Buy which ever one feels most like your friend; they all are about the same quality wise.

cute kid, be Happy!

thank you all, maybe I need to learn how to properly use the camera I have as iam probably not using it to its best, where can I do this though? learn about this camera and what im doing wrong? should you use backlight outside then? x

see the photo of my son in the water? I love this tho he came out kinda yellow maybe as the pool was yellow rofl x

Attachments

• $beach.jpg
    $beach.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 161
  • $dex zoo.jpg
    $dex zoo.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 161
  • $dex.jpg
    $dex.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 153
thank you all, maybe I need to learn how to properly use the camera I have as iam probably not using it to its best, where can I do this though? learn about this camera and what im doing wrong? should you use backlight outside then? x

see the photo of my son in the water? I love this tho he came out kinda yellow maybe as the pool was yellow rofl x

Well, you can learn composition on practically any camera.

#1 should have been shot in "portrait" orientation (camera held sideways) Also fill flash.
#2 Lacking the subject's eyes. Too much fence rail.
#3 Yellow water!!! EWWWW!!!! Anyway, you've cropped his head, (that's a no-no)

I love the pictures you posted, no doubt you have a good "eye" and I would say dont limit yourself to just taking photos of your son.
To take good pictures you really need to learn 2 main things.

1.How to use the camera from its mechanical point.
You should learn the basics of ISO, Shutter Speed and Apature.
2.Learn composition like Rule Of Thirds and much more.

Just buying a DSLR and using it on auto is in my eyes a waist of great potential and frankly they are heavy and big and dont forget the lenses you need to buy extra and carry along with you so these are my thoughts..........

If you really want to learn about camera and how to use it then go for a DSLR all current DSLR cameras are good but since you never gave us a price point I will tell you those who I recommend.
For around 1100$ you can buy the Nikon D7000 which is in my eyes the best camera in its price range.
For less then that you can get the Canon T4i or the ceaper Canon T3i
Nikon D5100 or the newer and more expensive Nikon D5200 who is currently available in Europe.
Nikon D3200 is Nikons brand new entry level and is resonably priced and if you really want to go cheap then the Nikon D3100 is a good camera that will be the cheapest from my list.
You should buy these cameras with a zoom lens minimum the 18-55mm or better, you also should buy a prime lens especially if you like taking portrents. 50mm prime lens probably will be perfect with f1.8

If you rather go for something smaller and dont have the time, will or patience to start getting into learning this wonderful world of photography you can get one of the good quality point nd shoot cameras.
Today some of the point and shoot are very close in their performance to the entry level DSLR but without getting into all the extra lenses, size and weight of a DSLR.

As an example let me give you 2 models I would recommend.

Canon G1X has a sensor that is almost the same size of a DSLR and will take wonderful pictures in all condition but the down point of this camera that its not cheap (around 650$)
The second camera I would recommend and thats from my own experience is the Canon G15, I am recomending this camera because I own it and it really is a great little camera which has a very fast lens and is perfect for portraits and excellent in everything else.
It doesnt have a huge sensor like the Canon G1X does but it is still very good in low light and indoor picture and is considerably cheaper then the G1X
Of course their are other good Point and Shoot out there but I did my research and found the Canon G15 to be best value for the money.

So I think you have a lot of thinking and research to do.

Being the father or 2 I know how much fan it is to take pictures of my kids and those pictures of them when they are young will be a memory you will keep forever so choosing the right camera is important so you can take these pictures and they will come out just as you want them to come out.

Good luck :)

Most reactions

Back