Wanting to move up from beginner status. Please advise

I dont have much to add to the majority of the questions but I do print my own photos. If you plan on making that a part of your business, it could be less expensive in the long run to have a nice printer and learning how to set up color profiles and how to calibrate your monitor for printing.

I use a Canon Pro 1, Epson 4900 and have an Epson 9900 at my disposal, however I have not used it.

I know it's scary to post pictures. Someone may say that you need more practice before considering to upgrade. But the point is if you're shooting ho-hum pictures, upgrading isn't going to help you.

You just have to apply to the council of Photographers and we'll upgrade you from beginner.
I'm happy to stay at Beginner for now. We learn more there.
I print at Costco. They do a great job if you do your own colour management.
I've used the same camera since 2010 and that camera came out in 2008. I'm getting a new one in a few days *rubs fingers in glee*

3. Everything I've read gives you this long list of accessories you must have. What do you think are must haves?

A tilt/swivel head flash gun. Rechargeable batteries and charger for you flashgun. ND4 and ND8 filters. Circular polarizer filter. (A step-up ring or step down for your filters if your lenses have different filter ring sizes.) An external HDD to back up your photos onto.

Last edited:
The only types of shooting you do that I think an upgrade in body would give you a significant advantage is sports and event photography. Largely as both of them tend to need high ISO and sports need high frame rates. But these may not be holding you back unless you find yourself shooting in less than optimal lighting conditions.

So think about where you want your best shots to come from and the lighting conditions you normally shoot in. Bear in mind that sports is a slippery slope to upgrades, often it requires fast glass, long focal lengths and a "pro" body to really pull off good shots.

If sports are not your main focus I'd get good glass first.

As for must haves it's a camera. Remember it's not how big your lens is but how you light it that counts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back