What's new

WARNING: Amateur Inspired by mishele

Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
10,726
Reaction score
5,468
Location
The Beautiful Hills of East Tennessee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I mentioned in another thread that I find mishele's flowers highly inspirational, but I don't want to just "copy" her technique and call that a success. Still, there is something in her floral photos that draws me and has helped to develop my own vision for some slightly unusual floral shots.

This is my first attempt. I know what I am "seeing" in my head for these shots, and this isn't quite it yet. But I liked this anyway, and thought I'd share.

The first photo is "nearly" SOOC. Very few adjustments to the raw file, but I did do some cropping. In retrospect, I wish I'd changed the white balance a little, but I only decided that after I *did* change it for some of the "revised" versions.
The other three are all different versions of the first.

I'd be interested to know if there is a version you prefer, and why. I'd also be interested to know what YOU might have done with the "original" (Photo 1)--feel free to post up your own edit of the original if you'd like, just to see how one photo might be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results--but it still isn't quite the vision in my head, and I'm not yet entirely sure what I'm missing.

"Original":


Version 2:


Version 3:


Version 4:
 
While all of them are nice, I like the third one best. Compositionally, its better than the first two because it doesn't have the distracting green; I also find the depth of field in 3 better than in 4.
Nice work.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
Thanks irfan; interesting thoughts. I'm refraining from saying which I like the best, because I want to hear other viewpoints without the possible influence of already knowing my preference.
I will say though, that technically the DOF in 3 and 4 should be the same, since they are the same photo, just different crops.
 
You.did a great job....are you going to reveal your secret....lol
 
I like #1 the best. I'm not at all a flower shooter, so I don't really have any suggestions, but I do like these much more than I tend to like the 91837423 flower shots posted on here every day. Great job!
 
#2 I like best, mainly because of the context the green adds to the picture. #3-4 are also good, but it's a bit surreal for me (opinion). But then again, I'm not quite sure who mishele is so I have no idea what you're going for!
 
I like the square crop of #3, but the original color.
 
I really like the original. Very well done.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
 
I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier!! Thanks so much for the props!! lol I'm glad to could get you to try something different!! :hugs:

I like 3 the best. It's mostly because of the focus point you picked and the colors.
Focusing w/ shallow depths of field can be tricky. =) You found the spot to focus on that doesn't say, "look at me".......it says, "follow me". lol I hope that made sense.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom