WARNING! Tonemapped (Overcooked) HDRs

I used to shoot ALOT of HDR when I first got in to photography.

Here's a few.
$quayshdr23.12.12-30-Edit.jpg

Panoramic HDR. (far to much work in post haha)

$quayshdr23.12.12-9-Edit-Edit.jpg

$FARM4.jpg

$12.jpg

$untitled-1-2.jpg

How interesting!

So how do you over cook an image and can you do it using built in HDR (D7100)?

How interesting!

Overcooking basically just means overproccesing to the point where it looks fake.

If I was you I would not use the in-built HDR features on cameras, they are notouriously bad. HDR should be done by the user in post really.

How interesting!

I am fairly new to photography and hdr all together. Here is one of my trys of an "overcooked" hdr. I double tone mapped it and also created a shadow map version, than use PS to mask the two images and do some cleanup left by photomatix.

$Image-9792.jpg

Here is my exaggerated hdr.

Very "once upon a time". Love this one.

I'm much more of a fan of exaggerated, overcooked, tonemapped, saturated, desaturated, full throttle HDR than the tiny HDR bumps that give a photo an "is it or isn't it" look.

delete double post

How interesting!

Overcooking basically just means overproccesing to the point where it looks fake.

If I was you I would not use the in-built HDR features on cameras, they are notouriously bad. HDR should be done by the user in post really.

OIC,

I've played around with the built in HDR function but will have to try it out in post processing.

How interesting!

I am fairly new to photography and hdr all together. Here is one of my trys of an "overcooked" hdr. I double tone mapped it and also created a shadow map version, than use PS to mask the two images and do some cleanup left by photomatix.

Oh wow, that's cool!

Seems to me, some still don't quite understand the concept of HDR vs Tonemapping....

HDR is a technique to capture as much dynamic range you can in an image. It can be done with multiple exposures taken on sight, or later on with a (useable) single image with software. TONEMAPPING is where you get the "overcooked" effect. You can tonemap any image. If you want to "overcook" it because that's you vision for the image, then go for it! There still is a right & wrong way to do it. A dirty/muddy sky and halos are the wrong way. There are some images that HDR will not benefit because the the scene, itself, doesn't have enough dynamic range to really need it. The "overcooked" tone mapping shouldn't be used to "rescue" a boring image. If the composition and subjects cannot stand on their own, reshoot. The best "overcooked" stuff I've see is where the photographer shoots with the processed image of the scene already envisioned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back