What's new

Warrenty Woe...

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 27, 2011
Messages
4,789
Reaction score
1,985
Location
Nashville, Tn
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, it's more like a timing woe, but still.

So it's *finally* be determined that, yes, either my camera or my 50mm has a focusing issue. *HOWEVER*, that's all the dude at the shop could tell me. Well, that and that I needed to send it into Canon.

My issue is that my warranty for the *body* expires April 21st and the warranty for the lens expires later.

If it's the lens, I don't have an issue, but if it's the *body*... well then I have a problem because I have shoots leading up to and immediately after the 21st and cant afford to lose my camera for a month.

Now, someone told me, and neither of us are sure if it's entirely accurate, that I could *start* the paperwork to request a warranty repair and as long as it's started, I can send it in the week of May 9th, and it'll still be free of cost because I started the paperwork before April 21st.

Does anyone know whether or not that's true?

And yes, I plan on calling Canon, but I was just curious if anyone had any experience with that since their office is currently closed, and I won't be able to call them until way after work tomorrow.

Kthanksbye! :biggrin:
 
I have not had any warranty issues yet, but I assume you could have a much faster turn around than 1 month (and your call would find out exactly how). Seeing your equipment listed, you dont qualify for the pro warranty service registration, but as you advance, in the future it will be a good thing to consider.
 
I have not had any warranty issues yet, but I assume you could have a much faster turn around than 1 month (and your call would find out exactly how).

When I typed in my information to Canon, it said that I would get my camera back 7 days from their receiving it... which is all find and dandy, except it's starred and when you read the fine print it says that the timeframe may vary. I've heard a lot of people say that it took about a month to get their cameras back. And even *if* I *did* get it back within 7 days... I'm still going to miss shoots because of it, because I have to send it out by the 21st, and I have a shoot this Saturday and one next Saturday.

Seeing your equipment listed, you dont qualify for the pro warranty service registration, but as you advance, in the future it will be a good thing to consider.

I don't even know what that means. :lol:

I just know that all of my equipment in general is still under warranty. My body will be the first one to expire.
 
The repair center is in Jersey and you're closer than I am. Hell, you may even be able to take it in and wait on the repair. I know people that drop off and pick up from their repair center. The best thing to do is to call.

Any ways, Every time I've sent my camera off on Monday, I've usually gotten it back by Friday and they've had to replace the mirror box every time. If worse comes to worse, send it off and consider renting.

LensRentals.com - Rent Canon > Cameras

You can get a 1D MKIV for $300 for a week to play with. Or if that's a bit much, there's other options like a 50D for $85 a week.
 
I have not had any warranty issues yet, but I assume you could have a much faster turn around than 1 month (and your call would find out exactly how).

When I typed in my information to Canon, it said that I would get my camera back 7 days from their receiving it... which is all find and dandy, except it's starred and when you read the fine print it says that the timeframe may vary. I've heard a lot of people say that it took about a month to get their cameras back. And even *if* I *did* get it back within 7 days... I'm still going to miss shoots because of it, because I have to send it out by the 21st, and I have a shoot this Saturday and one next Saturday.

Seeing your equipment listed, you dont qualify for the pro warranty service registration, but as you advance, in the future it will be a good thing to consider.

I don't even know what that means. :lol:

I just know that all of my equipment in general is still under warranty. My body will be the first one to expire.

Canon U.S.A. : Canon Professional Services
 
I had an outstanding experience with the Canon service center. I live in texas and used the New Jersey facility and the turn around was 8 days for me. Once you call you will find out that you have a thirty day grace period and once you set the repair up in there system I believe you have thirty days to send it to them. Good luck!
 
If you can't determine which is the problem. The first thing I would do is secure a 2nd body. Rent / borrow one to cover the event your supposed to do. Then send in your equipment for check / repair and hopefully it will come back in time. If not you have the rental / borrowed camera as a backup.
 
That sucks Emily, just bite the bullet send it in and pray you get it back in time. But secure a rental to cover your butt just in case.
 
The repair center is in Jersey and you're closer than I am. Hell, you may even be able to take it in and wait on the repair. I know people that drop off and pick up from their repair center. The best thing to do is to call.

Any ways, Every time I've sent my camera off on Monday, I've usually gotten it back by Friday and they've had to replace the mirror box every time. If worse comes to worse, send it off and consider renting.

LensRentals.com - Rent Canon > Cameras

You can get a 1D MKIV for $300 for a week to play with. Or if that's a bit much, there's other options like a 50D for $85 a week.



I had an outstanding experience with the Canon service center. I live in texas and used the New Jersey facility and the turn around was 8 days for me. Once you call you will find out that you have a thirty day grace period and once you set the repair up in there system I believe you have thirty days to send it to them. Good luck!

Good to know! Thanks guys! :sillysmi:

This is why pro's have back ups :sexywink:

Who said anything about being a pro? :greenpbl: The shoots that are lined up aren't paid shoots... they're shoots that *I* have contacted the models for... and asked them to do a shoot on trade. And there's an "event" this weekend... Keith's grandparents are having an anniversary party and I decided I wanted to shoot it. They didn't ask me. They had no intention of hiring anyone... I just told them I was doing it because I want to play and practice and they could give two sh*ts either way if I did or if I didn't. :lol:

I just feel it's in poor taste to cancel shoots that have been planned, whether or not they are paying me. And the one girl's date has changed several times already due to conflicts she didn't know about, a conflict that I forgot about and "double scheduled" a day... and I don't want to move her again.

If you can't determine which is the problem. The first thing I would do is secure a 2nd body. Rent / borrow one to cover the event your supposed to do. Then send in your equipment for check / repair and hopefully it will come back in time. If not you have the rental / borrowed camera as a backup.

Yeah, there's a photographer I'm work with (he's lurking around here somewhere... ::waves at Joe:: ) who will let me borrow his 1D, but... and I know this sounds crazy... I'd rather use my T2i, just because it's what I'm used to and comfortable with, rather than fumbling with unfamiliar menus. However, if that's what it comes down to, I'll meet up with him ahead of time and we will have a 1D "menu lesson" so I don't look like a total idiot during the shoot trying to figure out how to change my AF point. :lmao:

HOWEVER... if the turn around is as fast as the guys above have stated... then I probably won't need to resort to that.

I didn't get a chance to call Canon today because I was dealing with a million other things that took a higher priority, but it's #1 on my to-do list for tomorrow after work.

Thanks again for all the info guys :sillysmi:
 
That sucks Emily, just bite the bullet send it in and pray you get it back in time. But secure a rental to cover your butt just in case.

I have someone who can lend me a camera, just in case. I mean, he's going to be on set with me anyway... might as well bring his camera. :lol:
 
If the shoot are unpaid i wouldn't worry
 
^^ not a good habit. There is professionalism or worry, no need to fuss with both.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom