Was buying a E-520 a bad idea?

zachsilvey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased an Oly E-520 and have come to realize that it wasn't the greatest choice of camera. The availability of lenses and accessories and the price seems to be worse than Nikon or Canon. And what is the realistic viability of the fourthirds system.

The 4/3s system actually allows canon to do some really interesting things with their lenses. If you keep in mind that the camera has a 2x crop factor and choose your lenses accordingly, neat things begin to happen. For example, they have a pancake 25mm (which attached to their smallest camera can fit into my jeans pocket). In short the 4/3 system gives Olympus the ability to make very small lenses that are still high quality w/ small aperture.

No the olympus system is very good overall. The price of lenses especially in their pro line is a bit steep but they are excellent if the can be afforded. The camera is quite capable too.

Only a mistake if you are disappointed in what the system can do for you. I and no one else can make that decision for you. Olympus makes good quality hardware, circuitry and glass. Medical research depends on Oly everyday. In aviation we used their video endoscopes (we called them "borescopes") to inspect internal jet engine rotating hardware. So you need to decide for yourself.

Yes, it was a mistake because it's an Olympus :p

*duck*

No, I'm just kidding. I don't like the sensor size or the viewfinder, but I'm sure there are some very weird-and-wonderful things you can do with lenses on 2x crop frame. They feel pretty solidly built, too.

Most reactions

Back