Was this a good price? Should I return it?

cbryk0718

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So my husband went out for black friday this morning. A store near me had the Canon Rebel XT w/18-55 mm lens on sale for 499.00. There was also a deal on their store card, no interest for 2 years. We thought that sounded good to pay it off over 2 years no interest so we put it on our list. Then I noticed in the add that it said they may have floor models or demos of some items for up to 50% off. I told him if they have that camera to go for it. So he went and bought the new camera without getting the card and with a 3 year warranty. It came to almost $600 total. I don't know if this is a good price or not. Should I return it and look for a better deal? Here is the link:

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=97CD3FC23E9045E4A6EF5F6625176A09&ProductID=11915

I would avoid the demos in those larger chain stores. have you seen what the stuff goes through. The sensor has been exposed for god knows how long. Cost more to get it serviced than any savings will get you. Unless it's a 1D Mark III. I might make an exception for that one. :) Price seems okay, its a very capable camera though a generation old. Try out the stock lens. It may do for a while. When your ready, you can upgrade to a better lens later. I reccommend a extra memory card and battery though.

I would avoid the demos in those larger chain stores. have you seen what the stuff goes through. The sensor has been exposed for god knows how long. Cost more to get it serviced than any savings will get you. Unless it's a 1D Mark III. I might make an exception for that one. :) Price seems okay, its a very capable camera though a generation old. Try out the stock lens. It may do for a while. When your ready, you can upgrade to a better lens later. I reccommend a extra memory card and battery though.
I think it all depends on the store. If you are in a store that has their demos on a leash for anyone to come by and drop them whenever they please I say yes avoid them like the plague. If you go to a place like Ritz who keeps the demos behind glass I say go for it those are very carefully handled and well cared for and kept in excellent shape.

I think it all depends on the store. If you are in a store that has their demos on a leash for anyone to come by and drop them whenever they please I say yes avoid them like the plague. If you go to a place like Ritz who keeps the demos behind glass I say go for it those are very carefully handled and well cared for and kept in excellent shape.

I agree that Ritz takes a little better care than some other stores but then again my local Ritz stores don't offer any where near 50% off on demo models.

After a variety of experiences with floor model and demo electronic items I personally won't ever buy one again. I spend the extra money and get the new sealed box stuff. Then I know what it has been through.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back