Was two hours of editing worth it? Comments and Critiques Please!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i spent roughly two hours on this photo, and am wondering if it was really worth it. Any feedback on the editing, the composition, etc, would be lovely.

Self Critique: I don't mind the legs being cut off, but i really wish i hadn't cut her arm off at the elbow. The lighting isn't awful, but i would have loved some sort of catchlights in her eyes, to really add to the photo. Other than that, i am quite pleased with myself, as this was my first time shooting a wedding. I myself, am proud of my editing, and especially trying to give it the "depression era" feel, that one seems to associate with a steam train.

Before:
Susanunedited.jpg

Finished:
SusanFinished.jpg

Regards,
Jake

Personally i think you did a good job at capturing that essence of era. Im not a giant fan of sepia but you explained with the steam train and all so I can understand.
The first photo needed some work, and You made the most of it with the crop / contrast ect.
Good work.

Personally i think you did a good job at capturing that essence of era. Im not a giant fan of sepia but you explained with the steam train and all so I can understand.
The first photo needed some work, and You made the most of it with the crop / contrast ect.
Good work.

Thank you very much. I'm glad someone else likes it. Haha

yup, i saw the first pic without looking at the 2nd and thought a b/w and nice crop would be good.. and this is exactly as you did.. i like it.. really like it. Good job.

yup, i saw the first pic without looking at the 2nd and thought a b/w and nice crop would be good.. and this is exactly as you did.. i like it.. really like it. Good job.

Thank you very much.

Looks like a big improvement, way to stick with it.
-
Shoot well, Joe

I think you did good...... right up to the point you turned it into sepia. Seems a bit overexposed to me.

Two hours??? That's way too long to be spending on a single photo. Hopefully you remembered what you did so you can make an action to do it to all if you need to. I like the edit though :)

Oh I see what you did... You got rid of the distracting background elements too. Good job with that... I just still don't know why it took two hrs... Haha. What tools did you use?

The blurred area above the left ear (or her right ear) is distracting me from her eyes.

Otherwise it looks good.

Nice PPing overall.
I think that there was a problem that was not fixed in the beginning that has followed through to this final.

There are several burnt out spots in her face - the side of her nose and her temple - that have persisted and look more obvious in the final.
I try to correct color or brightness problem areas in the color original before converting.

susanarrow.jpg

Looks like a big improvement, way to stick with it.
-
Shoot well, Joe

I think you did good...... right up to the point you turned it into sepia. Seems a bit overexposed to me.

Two hours??? That's way too long to be spending on a single photo. Hopefully you remembered what you did so you can make an action to do it to all if you need to. I like the edit though :)

The blurred area above the left ear (or her right ear) is distracting me from her eyes.

Otherwise it looks good.

Thank you all! It took two hours because i am by no means a proficient photoshop user, and i would spend ten minutes cloning something out, only to zoom to normal and see that it SUCKED, delete it, and redo it all over again. I wanted a well edited photo, not only to increase my familiarity with PS, but also to see just what i could do. I used the clone stamp tool mainly, some copying (the dress parts) and transforming them, contrast and brightness sliders, black and white fiddling, etc.

Nice PPing overall.
I think that there was a problem that was not fixed in the beginning that has followed through to this final.

There are several burnt out spots in her face - the side of her nose and her temple - that have persisted and look more obvious in the final.
I try to correct color or brightness problem areas in the color original before converting.

susanarrow.jpg

I left it that way, as i felt the slightly blown out right side of her face added to the old school style. I also prefer contrasty black and whites, which added to the blown side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back