Was two hours of editing worth it? Comments and Critiques Please!

Thank you all! It took two hours because i am by no means a proficient photoshop user, and i would spend ten minutes cloning something out, only to zoom to normal and see that it SUCKED, delete it, and redo it all over again. I wanted a well edited photo, not only to increase my familiarity with PS, but also to see just what i could do. I used the clone stamp tool mainly, some copying (the dress parts) and transforming them, contrast and brightness sliders, black and white fiddling, etc.

Just keep up the good work. You will get better and better as you practice more and more. ;)

Thank you all! It took two hours because i am by no means a proficient photoshop user, and i would spend ten minutes cloning something out, only to zoom to normal and see that it SUCKED, delete it, and redo it all over again. I wanted a well edited photo, not only to increase my familiarity with PS, but also to see just what i could do. I used the clone stamp tool mainly, some copying (the dress parts) and transforming them, contrast and brightness sliders, black and white fiddling, etc.

Just keep up the good work. You will get better and better as you practice more and more. ;)

Very true.

You did a nice job with the edit I think. I can't amagine spending 2 hours on a single photo though.. Did you miss a spot on the left side (her right) of her head, just below the hair clip? Or is that just part of the hair? It seems a bit OOF compared the the surrounding hair...?

You did a nice job with the edit I think. I can't amagine spending 2 hours on a single photo though.. Did you miss a spot on the left side (her right) of her head, just below the hair clip? Or is that just part of the hair? It seems a bit OOF compared the the surrounding hair...?

From what i can tell, it is part of her hair. But i shall see if i can edit that out. And yeah, it was broken into two 1 hour segments. And worth it, i think.

Ya man, I think it would be worth it to edit that little bit out. Shouldn't take too long. Good job, I probably would have destroyed it if I tried to clone out that much stuff.

The first thing that caught my eye (aside from the blown out areas and the sepia tone...) was that there was something funny going on with the dress on her left (our right) side. I looked closer and noticed that it looked like you had tried to clone something out, so I looked back at the original image and I was right.

I realize that you had to pretty much recreate that wall, but the part of the wall closest to her blurs into her dress and the shadow on her dress that should be extended onto the wall stops abruptly.

I don't want to state the obvious, but 30 seconds to ask everyone to shift slightly away from your subject > 2 hours of PP. I feel like I'm being mean for some reason, but honestly unless this IS the bride, or someone who is extremely important to the bride that she was desperate to have a picture of, I'm kinda confused as to why you spent 2 hours on it outside of just practicing your skills. I feel like it's not really that awesome of a shot to spend that much time on, though the end result definitely has fewer distractions than the original. Your vintage "look" does nothing for me, I think a straight b&w or processing with a different tone would be more flattering, or playing with textures. If you're planning to shoot more weddings, don't be afraid to ask people to move to get a shot or change your position/perspective to eliminate distractions, even if you think it's just a candid capture or "it's not worth it". Save yourself hours of unnecessary cloning.

Edited to add: kasper beat me to the punch while I was posting! Dangit! I'm glad someone else was thinking the same thing!

Oh no 2 hours? No way.....

If you ever have anybody sit next to a window, you have to have at least a reflector on the other side to use as a fill light if not a flash on the other side. You see how her left side is bright and other side is dark? That's because no light are coming in on the other side. I'm sure there are many people there who wouldn't mind holding the reflector for a minute.

Anyways, she is pretty though :thumbup:

HER FACE LOOKS PRETTY BADLY BLOWN-OUT. And it does NOT look "old-school"--in fact it looks exactly 100 percent NEW-SCHOOL, as in "digitally blown-out highlights clipped abruptly". Film does not suddenly BLOW OUT highlights in such a dead-simple lighting situation.

I don't want to state the obvious, but 30 seconds to ask everyone to shift slightly away from your subject > 2 hours of PP. I feel like I'm being mean for some reason, but honestly unless this IS the bride, or someone who is extremely important to the bride that she was desperate to have a picture of, I'm kinda confused as to why you spent 2 hours on it outside of just practicing your skills. I feel like it's not really that awesome of a shot to spend that much time on, though the end result definitely has fewer distractions than the original. Your vintage "look" does nothing for me, I think a straight b&w or processing with a different tone would be more flattering, or playing with textures. If you're planning to shoot more weddings, don't be afraid to ask people to move to get a shot or change your position/perspective to eliminate distractions, even if you think it's just a candid capture or "it's not worth it". Save yourself hours of unnecessary cloning.

Edited to add: kasper beat me to the punch while I was posting! Dangit! I'm glad someone else was thinking the same thing!

Of course, but to my untrained eye, i didn't think to have the others move. I need my practice with PS, and i didn't mind spending two hours.

All i can say is I know how you feel. There are alot of people here that can do what I do in 30mins in just 10. I like it i just dont like the blown out face and the really bright background. One more thing am I the only one seeing the halo on her right arm?

Most reactions

Back