Watching Television?

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never really had any formal trainig in photography, so this might be old hat to some of you.

But recently, for some reason, I have been taking serious looks at video, documentary's, History Channel, etc...and have been paying serious attention to the compostion, especially when the displayed video pauses for a second or so during narrative, or what have you.

I think this has really helped in my still photo compositions. Free education?

Anyone else do this?

j:mrgreen:

Yes, quite frequently. One of the most interesting films to watch is called Blowup...it's a fascinating exercise in composition for the cinema.

TV...and movies especially. Some of the best 'graphers' are cinematographers....and good composition is good, whether still or video.

I also look at the lighting they use.

i have a friend who is a cinematographer and i envy his compositional skills something rotten

Yep, I'm at it too, it's a great way to learn (or at least get another perspective on)composition.

Anyone else do this?

Taking time to look carefully at the work of other visual artists is always valuable as part of one's visual education. We work doesn't need to be the same medium that you choose to practice.

I highly recommend carefully watching skillfully made video and movies as well as paintings, drawings, sculpture, ... . When I travel, I always use it as an opportunity to visit art museums for this vary purpose.

I've never really had any formal trainig in photography, so this might be old hat to some of you.

But recently, for some reason, I have been taking serious looks at video, documentary's, History Channel, etc...and have been paying serious attention to the compostion, especially when the displayed video pauses for a second or so during narrative, or what have you.

Anyone else do this?

j:mrgreen:

The first time I was in college, I was looking for an AA in Mass Comm to go on to NYU's film school. I decided it would be a good idea to pick up photography to learn something about lenses, aperture, lighting, and other things. I ended up getting so hooked on it that I dropped the idea of being a film director...

So the short answer is, yes, all the time. Not so much for education, just really admiring good cinematic work. Some of my images are pretty well influenced by movies that I've seen.

Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.

Most reactions

Back