Watching the rain

I find the black at the left bof frame quite overpowering; and it's a shame here about his fingers. Also, the lack of any detail in the back of his head and on his back doesn't seem, to me, to suit the scene. I like the idea, though, and the guitar is neat.

Josh, this is a really nice picture. I see what peter is saying about the fingers - would be better if we could see all the fingers but it's ok as is. The guitar seems like a neat idea but for me, it seems out of place. I LOVE the look of the kid and the window is fantastic. The picture has really nice emotion and I find myself wondering what is he thinking about?

Thanks guys.

This wasn't set up or anything - I had maybe 5 seconds to compose and take the picture. I thought it came out pretty good though.

It was raining, and as far as what he was thinking, it was probably something along the lines off wanting to go outside and play.

A little fill light would always be nice, but for this one there just wasn't time to set it up. The moment would have passed before I even had the flash in my hands.

A nice grab. The black over the hand is a bit distracting, but this is one of those shots where one is quite willing to overlook minor flaws.

I like it, especially since it was taken under time constants.

Thanks. I was taking pictures off something else, so I already had the camera in my hands - but he didn't stay there long, haha. If I didn't already have the camera ready, I would have missed it for sure.

The "black thing" covering his hand, I think that's the handle to our vacuum cleaner... And I agree - it would be much better without it. Serves me right for not putting the vacuum away when I'm done with it, lol.

As for the back of his head, a reflector probably would have been enough to take care of that. But, you know - kids moving around constantly and all that ... I knew I didn't have time to set that up. :lol:

The guitar on the right is an interesting element that adds to the photo. The guitar on the right hand side is a distracting element that diminishes the photo.

I can't decide which of those two statements I feel more strongly about!

I know the way these things go down...just FIRING, just taking the shot,any shot, is the key. Sometimes you get the chance to refine it....many times, it's a one-frame-only-kinda-deal. Thanks for posting.

The guitar on the right is an interesting element that adds to the photo. The guitar on the right hand side is a distracting element that diminishes the photo.

I can't decide which of those two statements I feel more strongly about!
I know what you mean. I'm leaning towards the "it adds to the photo" side though.

BUT, it does sort of move the eye away from the subject... So, I can see both sides...

(Yes, I can be objective about pictures of my kids, lol.)

On second thought, I think it may be doing more harm than good by drawing they eye away...

If that side were black, he would be nicely framed by black on both sides... Some sort of vertical crop may actually work here...

On second thought, I think it may be doing more harm than good by drawing they eye away...

If that side were black, he would be nicely framed by black on both sides... Some sort of vertical crop may actually work here...

If you have Photoshop you can just clone black in over the guitar.

If you have Photoshop you can just clone black in over the guitar.
I use GIMP, but I can do that. I think the vertical 4:5 crop may be the best of both words though.

Thoughts?

Most reactions

Back