Water and Oil

mooimeisie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I took these for a weekly challenge on Flick. They are oil drops floating on water. C & C always welcome. The complete set of pictures can be seen on Flickr.

3412410265_15cbd151dd_b.jpg

3412401945_8ac88a3be7_b.jpg

3413209672_ed825dceb5_b.jpg

Creative use of colour and material.

I would never have guessed it if you did not tell me.

Nice use of colors... you know what you're doing with these. I like the abstractness of them quite a bit.

Do you mind giving the settings and telling us the set up? i would love to try it but have no clue where to even start!!

I tried to post a link of the pictures I followed to do this, but they have
been removed, so I'll try to explain as well as I can.

First set up a little table and cover it with anything that has a colored pattern, rainbow tissue, tie die shirt or make your own pattern. Next you will need a glass pan, pie plate, cake pan, loaf pan or something like that. Place the ends on books, glasses or anything that will raise it 6" or so (here's where you have to experiment) so that you have a clear view to the colored base. Add water, approx two thirds depth and drop in oil.

I used a macro lens shooting straight down. Manual focus was needed as the camera usually focused on the fabric, not the oil. You have to work fast as the oil drops tend to join together. When the oil drops join together, sir them up and start all over again.

Good luck, it was alot of fun.

Thanks for sharing the set up. They all look really cool, I think the first one is my fav.

These are really great. Make for some really interesting abstract pieces. Dare I say they might even make a good addition to the standard set of Apple desktop images.

#1 is definitely my favorite.

These are really great. Make for some really interesting abstract pieces. Dare I say they might even make a good addition to the standard set of Apple desktop images.

#1 is definitely my favorite.

Thank you so much for the compliment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back