Water balloons

Discussion in 'Just For Fun!' started by mommy-medic, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mommy-medic

mommy-medic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Kids wanted to "help" with an expirament I was doing with water balloons. The set-up: A black cloth draped on a garment rack. A stick securely wedged into an unsuspecting hedge. Dental floss hanging balloons from the stick about 2-3 feet from the black cloth. Open shade as the sun was setting on the other side of the building.

[​IMG]

the execution (still tweaking post processing- this was mainly an expirament to see if I could get the water balloon shape that remains for a split second after popping it):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Desi

Desi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Love these. Especially the 2nd set where, not only can you still see the shape of the original balloon but the flow of the water reacting to the contraction of the latex.

Can you post a larger version of that?

Your assistants must have had a great time.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, this one's ONE cool experiment, and the outcome is astonishing, for you to really GET that moment, when the water still stays in the shape of the balloon for that split second. How did you time these!?!

4. ZapoTeX

ZapoTeX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The fourth photo within the first image in your post is simply amazing. Awesome idea!

Would be cool to try with a longer pin, so that the hand does not show in the photo.

Congratulations for the highly creative photos!

5. mommy-medic

Photos OK to edit
    I can try to post larger this evening when I get home.

For timing I had the camera set on continuous and could get about 10-12 shots off before the memory card started bogging down. I had the aperture around 2ish to let in as much light as possible and had the shutter speed between 1/1000 and 1/8000. I did have exposure compensation all the way up (+5). I didn't think to up the ISO and it was at 100. They were pretty dark SOOC so Lightroom helped, but that did reveal a little noise. FWIW we did 12 balloons and only 2-3 actually captured the image I wanted. Just keep trying :)

In hindsight I should have had kids wash their hands first, lol. They were filthy from playing outside. I guess it's better then being clean from playing video games all afternoon. :) I did try some B&W versions but the color looks better.

6. LuckySe7en

LuckySe7en TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These look cool! What if you did it with a longer pin and a tighter crop so that you can't see hands, then shop out the puncturing object? I think I may need to try this

7. mommy-medic

Photos OK to edit

Ok, I added them all to this set: cpc - a set on Flickr

There is a cool series of images where one of the kids tried to pop a yellow balloon, but instead of exploding, it just sprung a leak and swung a little. It's pretty neat. :)

I think these are larger than the ones prviously posted:

[​IMG]
    000_7763 by awaagen, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    000_7751 by awaagen, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    000_7764 by awaagen, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    000_7786 by awaagen, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    000_7745 by awaagen, on Flickr

They aren't all polished and complete yet, so I apologize if the exposure is a bit low. With the shutter speed so high I did have to do some lightening in post processing, and not quite done yet.

• Like Like x 1