Water Drop C&C

nemopaice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is from the set of my first attempts at capturing Water Drops. Comments and/or Critiques appreciated.

82920166.jpg

Nice job, I have no negative criticism. Not a huge fan of the mosaic though, I'd just take the upper left image by itself as the best one.

Nice job, I have no negative criticism. Not a huge fan of the mosaic though, I'd just take the upper left image by itself as the best one.
Thanks, I just used the mosaic as a way to show more than one without having to upload many.

matt62485 said:
wow i like em! cool, i need to attempt this at some point!
Thanks, it wasn't too difficult, aside from me drowning my camera a couple times, because of my own silly mistakes.

dearlybeloved said:
what lens did you use
Actually, because I figured I would get my camera a little wet, I stuck the 18-55mm kit lens on the camera. Used manual focus with a pencil as a focal point on where the water was dripping and set the camera to shoot some auto bursts and waited for the results.

It was a bit frustrating though. Even with the auto bursts and all, I still went trough about 100-125 snaps just to get about 10-12 keepers.

Guess I'll have to keep on trying.....Mike

Guess I'll have to keep on trying.....Mike

Something that may help is use a pencil or something placed where the drips are falling and focus in on that, then switch to manual focus, this way your camera will stay in proper focus. Then the rest is taking the shots.

Something I found that works well to get the colors, is to go in PS and just paint with a lot of different colors. Or in Gimp you can go to your filters and render plasma for a lot of colors. Print it up and use it as a backdrop. The water will reflect the colors.

Also Whatever you use to catch the water, try and use black or a very dark color. This will make the water reflect more. It's like the way a mirror works. If you ever take the backing off a mirror, you'll notice it's pretty much just glass and black backing.

Hope that helps you.

First shot (upper, left) is the keeper!

I'm missing though a bit more space to the top, to show more droplets flying around.

This setup could be good material for a nice art print shot! I'd try it again!

Most reactions

Back