Water drops

aussirose

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Needed to have another go a water drop photography. So I found an appropriate leaf and blue tacked it onto the top of a meat thermometer that I used for a stand and bought a water eye dropper to place the water drops. I opened up my computer and used my photos as a backdrop and put a black plastic document folder on the keyboard to stop the water drops from ruining my computer.
Then placed my trusty Canon 80D onto the tripod and went to work. :icon_biggrin:
Here are a few. What do you think?...
Next project will be a water drop one. I need to get some good lighting for that.
I have been getting my inspiration from this dude on youtube called Lee Hall. He shows how to do macro photography on a budget. I can't afford all the mod cons lol. So one has to improvise. Although I have invested in a rotating coloured led light thingy delived for under 20 bucks. Can't wait to get that.

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

Cool idea but they all look a tad underexposed to me (maybe that's the look you wanted). I'd up the exposure, brighten them up a bit and bring them to life.

Might be better posting them in the Macro sub-forum if Macro is the line you are going down.

Cool idea and set. Agree with the above on exposure, and it helps if you post multiple images to number them. Makes it easier to comment on specific images.

Not easy to achieve. Even harder to create a nice set like this.

Thanks to all. Feedback appreciated :icon_biggrin:
Cheers, Ann. 🍷

You’re off to a good start. Some suggestions from my own trial and error with this - use a 50/50 water and glycerin combo for the drops. Place them with a needle not a dropper. Putting them under the leaf gives a larger drop to work with as it will hang instead of flatten out. The exposure issue - these shots work best if you use a real flower and aim your speed light at the flower not the drops. Scrapbook paper is a cheap and easy backdrop.

For holding the leaf and if you decide to use a real flower, there’s a third hand tool that is very helpful. Has multiple arms with gator clips on the end.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, I hope you don’t mind, but I know how much time goes into getting one of these shots! If you want me to delet let me know. These were with the Velvet 56.

Here’s was my set up

FE70D83F-3D08-45D4-BE8E-F8688850C3FB.jpeg

Finished photo
756831BA-E1A6-4637-938C-E6AA4C6D2391.jpeg

Beautiful set Ann. Thanks for sharing your set up.

Your killing me with these they are soooooooo cool. Picture number 3 with the flower I love that.....Two lenses I need ASAP one is a true macro lens.. These are crazy good, like I said put together a selection of images and approach a gallery to see if the have any interest in displaying them.

Yep Sharon. Everything that you said makes total sense. Love, Love your water drop photo matey! :icon_biggrin:

I am working on a limited budget. I don't have a speedlight but I have found that I do not need to use extra lighting whilst my camera is on the tripod and I can slow the shutter speed. However that could be my next problem when trying water drop photography where I have to use a fast shutter speed.

Your suggestion of using water and glycerin is good for hanging drops. Thanks for the reminder :encouragement:

I am yet to find a needle point eye dropper, without having to purchase on-line. I am still looking.

Velvet 56. I have pondered this lens many times. Maybe after I master my current lensbaby lenses. :icon_biggrin:

Thank you so much for your helpful advise Sharon.
Cheers, Ann.
You’re off to a good start. Some suggestions from my own trial and error with this - use a 50/50 water and glycerin combo for the drops. Place them with a needle not a dropper. Putting them under the leaf gives a larger drop to work with as it will hang instead of flatten out. The exposure issue - these shots work best if you use a real flower and aim your speed light at the flower not the drops. Scrapbook paper is a cheap and easy backdrop.

For holding the leaf and if you decide to use a real flower, there’s a third hand tool that is very helpful. Has multiple arms with gator clips on the end.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, I hope you don’t mind, but I know how much time goes into getting one of these shots! If you want me to delet let me know. These were with the Velvet 56.

Your killing me with these they are soooooooo cool. Picture number 3 with the flower I love that.....Two lenses I need ASAP one is a true macro lens.. These are crazy good, like I said put together a selection of images and approach a gallery to see if the have any interest in displaying them.

Thank you Sniper for your encouragment. It means alot. :blush:
Cheers, Ann ☕

Most reactions

New Topics

Back