Water Lillies

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've really enjoyed the year that I've spent here on TPF. I'm still pretty new, so I've been trying out lots of different things. I've really been inspired by the sublime work of Mishele, the cool pop-art and bugs from Cgipson and some recent shots from PixelRabbit. I got some Kenko extension tubes for father's day and have been playing around with them. This is my first serious attempt with them.

Wow, it was harder than I expected.

Can anyone tell me the downside of using extension tubes as compared to a dedicated macro lens?

I hope you enjoy these......as always, C&C is more than welcome.

Desi

DSC_1565.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_1570.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_1548.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Like I said on Flickr, the first one rocks. The rest of the set is also well done, especially if this is your first foray into macro.

Sorry, I can't help with the technical question.

The problem with extension tubes is, much less light. And your non-macro lens probably won't stop down as much as a real macro lens, so depth of field can be a problem. And the non-macro lens might not be optimal at such close focusing.

I do some macro work, but not enough to spend a lot of money on a great macro lens. So...

Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.4 Macro Lens - A Nikonians Product Review

Not well-constructed, and probably not up to heavy use. But...

It is in the optical department that the Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 macro lens shines. It is really quite sharp, with excellent center resolution, and pretty good at the edges. Stopped down to f/8 or smaller, there is very little to pick between this lens and more expensive types. It does not match the superb Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro but it certainly is on a par with the Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D IF AF in macro mode, and much better than that lens at the edges. It is possible to count the hairs on an insect's body, though they don't show the hard-edged crispness of the Tamron or a micro-Nikkor.

Mounting the 1:1 adapter (a 49mm screw-in two-element filter) allows the lens to focus in to life size reproduction. Again, once stopped down the results are quite respectable, especially in the center. The edges are quite acceptable.
Contrast is excellent in the "bare" mode, and not too bad with the adapter. Color rendition is a little cool.

I spent a little over $100 for mine. Worth a look.

$6199228429_8e58419d55_z.jpg

This is what a novice at macro can do with it.

Really like number 1!

Nice Desi!
Number 1 is gorgeous, love the lines.
Number 3 is yummy! Love the water, great angle.

One suggestion on 3, that closed bud in the foreground has to be all in with room to breathe or all out, as it is it draws the eye down and out of the image. Perhaps a smidge off the bottom and right.

Thanks so much for your kind words Desi :) I'm at a really neat place with photography, things are starting to click, I'm glad you are enjoying my recent stuff!

Cheers for a year here! I'm sneaking up on that milestone myself, it seems to have gone by fast!

Like I said on Flickr, the first one rocks. The rest of the set is also well done, especially if this is your first foray into macro.

Sorry, I can't help with the technical question.

Thanks Invisible.

The problem with extension tubes is, much less light. And your non-macro lens probably won't stop down as much as a real macro lens, so depth of field can be a problem. And the non-macro lens might not be optimal at such close focusing.

View attachment 22228

This is what a novice at macro can do with it.

Barbarian, thanks for the info and the link. Nice shot.

With the extension tubes, autofocus is nearly useless. Does autofocus function with the dedicated macro lenses? From what I can tell looking at Nikon's site, it should.

Really like number 1!

i an 3 rock. 1 is the best.

3rd picture is my absolute favorite.

Thanks, much appreciated!!

Nice Desi!
Number 1 is gorgeous, love the lines.
Number 3 is yummy! Love the water, great angle.

One suggestion on 3, that closed bud in the foreground has to be all in with room to breathe or all out, as it is it draws the eye down and out of the image. Perhaps a smidge off the bottom and right.

Thanks so much for your kind words Desi :) I'm at a really neat place with photography, things are starting to click, I'm glad you are enjoying my recent stuff!

Cheers for a year here! I'm sneaking up on that milestone myself, it seems to have gone by fast!

PixelRabbit, Thanks for your CC. I see what you mean with that closed bud.

Most reactions

Back