Water Proof Point and Shoot....

mrpink

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well, the wife informed me that her mother would like a digital camera for christmas- they have a pool and would like something waterproof to take photos of the grandchildren playing. It also would be used for the normal everyday grandparent photography (kids doing common things indoors)

I have narrowed my choices down to the Canon D10 and the Pentax W90. I personally have a Olympus 1030SW that the flash crapped out on after owning it for one year so I refuse to buy another Olympus.

Anyone own either of these two? Experiences?

Please don't throw out other choices unless you are certain they are much better, my brain is full enough right now.

thanks

p!nK

I've got the D10. Great camera for a point-and-shoot. I got it for going with me on kayaking trips. Kayaking is not a dry sport. It has been the silent witness to at least a couple of hundred of rolls, and also some underwater shooting at 4-6ft. depth (no, I wasn't in the kayak at the time :) ). Took it cross-country skiing, bumped it around quite a bit. Some chips and dents on the body but still ticking and shooting. Inadvertently took a 2-hour video of paddling with the camera inside my PDF pocket - a meshy forward view and pretty good audio too, despite a few dunkings (did I say kayaking is not a dry sport?). The zoom range is somewhat limited, but compared to other weather-proof cameras, it's pretty good. Most weather-resistant cameras are splash-resistant, not under-water to 10 ft. deep resistant. With this one... I... Don't,... Care.... ;)

Yeah, I read that. It is pretty much what talked me into the D10 despite it's appearance (I think it should have a picture of Dora the Explorer on it, not a Canon logo) But hey, it's not going to be in my hands; so ease of use and image quality are of greater importance so it is winning out.

I am more looking for personal experiences like pgriz's. I trust the opinion of a total stranger more than some paid spokesman in a funny hat (the video was fun to look at though :thumbup:)

Thanks guys

p!nk

Ordered a D10 for the inlaws and a S95 for myself (can't let them have all the fun).... :mrgreen:

We'll see how they perform.

p!nK

The S95 is a great little pocket camera; enjoy it! I was going to pick one up myself, but the SD4500 was on sale for $150 cheaper than the S95 (compared to just $50 normally), and I figured I didn't need manual controls in a P&S anyway. ....I'll probably regret it and want an S95, but oh well! lol.

The S95 is a great little pocket camera; enjoy it! I was going to pick one up myself, but the SD4500 was on sale for $150 cheaper than the S95 (compared to just $50 normally), and I figured I didn't need manual controls in a P&S anyway. ....I'll probably regret it and want an S95, but oh well! lol.

That was one of the other pockets shooters I was looking at. $150 less would have made me think a little harder, but for $60 more the S95 seemed like a no brainer.

They both look like good choices.

p!nK

It doesnt have any full manual modes, but it's got like 30-something scene modes, so I can make assumptions on how it would be set up, IE sports would be high shutter speed priority, etc. Plus I love the super slow motion video mode. Either way, its a huge upgrade from my super old Sony Cybershot W30.

Plus I justified it in a way that if I had a pocket camera like the S95 or G12, I would expect DSLR-like performance and only be disappointed. With the SD4500, it makes no bones about definitely being a P&S, so my expectations aren't as high with the images.

it's not my personal experience but my bor has got a D10 and seems pretty satisfied

Plus I justified it in a way that if I had a pocket camera like the S95 or G12, I would expect DSLR-like performance and only be disappointed. With the SD4500, it makes no bones about definitely being a P&S, so my expectations aren't as high with the images.

You can also get a waterproof case for the s95 for under $200. I just ordered one for my s90 and can't wait to get it.
here is what ken Rockwell said about these cameras which to me says a lot about their quality.

The S90 fits in my pocket, and gives me SLR quality. For me, it has replaced my DSLR for nature, travel and landscape shooting. I only pick up an SLR for sports, action and people shots.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back