Waterfall slow shutter and speedlight

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just playing around using a speedlight to emphasize some highlights during long exposure. Speedlight off camera, hand held. Even gave myself a "selfie" style flash pop.

Exposures between 4 and 8 seconds. nd8 and cpl filters

C&C always welcome and thank you for looking

waterfall-1.jpg

waterfall-1-2.jpg

waterfall-1-3.jpg

waterfall-1-4.jpg

waterfall-1-5.jpg

Cool photos. But you probably didn’t need the speed light. At those exposure values in broad daylight it’s probabky not making much difference in your photos at all unless you have the worlds most powerful speedlight.

Shooting with an ND filter, a small aperture, and a long shutter speed... it would be extremely hard to fight the sun with any kind of artificial light.

Thanks Destin,

Yeah, the speedlight didn't have any effect on the overall exposure. Since there was no sunlight in the waterfall canyon, all shade, the speedlight helped brighten up and get specular highlights on certain areas. Like the icicles upper right in #2. I was just out of frame camera right and pointed the speedlight right at those icicles.

Thanks for looking.

Wow! Loving #2. Great composition!

Wow! Loving #2. Great composition!

Thanks very much! #2 is also my personal favorite from this set and currently one of my favs to date.
The composition is thanks to the Golden Ratio Weekly Challenge thread, as it follows the Golden Spiral. The Golden Ratio has become a compositional tool for me very often.

Speedlight looks to have created some highlights sparkle in the close-up ice formations, mostly. VERY nice pictures. Really,really enjoyed seeing these zulu42! Photos 2, and 3,and 5 are simply outstanding. Bravo! The selfie inclusion is also quite nice,and I like the blurred rendering of you.

Thanks so much, Derrel, I really appreciate the kind words.
The selfie was funny. A 6 second exposure, I felt as if I were posing in an olde tyme photo. I managed to hold my legs quite still even though I was shivering, and you probably noticed you can just see the ghost image where I held up the speedlight and blasted myself in the face lol.

Very nice set. I like #2 the best.

All great in the set, but that #2 shot is fantastic

#2 nominated for POTM. (I hope I did it right) LOL

Aww, smoke, that's so downright nice of you. That means so much to me, when you guys routinely out-class my best efforts. Thanks for making my day my friend!

Very worthy POTM nominee. Nice!

2 and 5 are my favorites. They are all great.

I like the look of the ice/icicles. (thumbs up)

I got to get out with my 10-stop ND filter and start shooting.

Most reactions

Back