Waterlilly

Don't think I have the original shot. I cropped it at the time of the scan.

Is there some rule I wasn't told about that we're only allowed to post our best work?

Hmmm... no such rule known to me. :scratch:
We do have the Snapshots and Bloopers Forum, though... so actually, come to think of it, our members are even invited to also post their less than perfect shots - and post them there.

I take plenty of less-than-perfect shots, this one most certainly included. But who shoots MF snapshots?

I was hoping to see if there were more to it than is shown.

I'm off early for a day of making errors and bloopers so I'll make my comments here and you can apply (or not) them to the St. Augustine shot also.

Neither shot is boring- however they are confusing.

I think you really need to relax, find a subject and work with it. Keep the composition simple, pick a single guideline and work with it.

It's not bad to 'feel' for your work, in fact that's what makes it worth it IMO.

wow. nobody seems to get what im doing here.

I think Charlie might pick up on it.

to get back to the image:

Shot on Portra 160 VC, cropped from 645

1. OK, first of all, what I like about it is the transition from red to green to blue when you go from left to right.

2. the focus is clearly on the background, and the waterlilly seems not to be the subject of the image, I would even go further and say it is in the way. so why not remove it?

3. The reflection of the structure in the upper right part is debatable, however the white plank, or whatever it is, is certainly annoying. here a better framing could have helped.

4. the whole thing is a bit dark ... maybe if it was brighter, the lilly again would make sense ...

It's not bad to 'feel' for your work, in fact that's what makes it worth it IMO.

Hmm, I often hate what I produce .. and since I cannot live with this hatred, I dump them images on this forum :p

oopps, no that was exaggerated of course ;)

i love seeing how much people want to get back at max for somthing he said about their shots.

max, i don't know what you were going for or thinking about when you took this. but that doesn't matter if what we see is what you wanted us to see, then you achieved whatever you were after. it may be a perfect sculpture of dog poo, and since it looks like poo we'll call it that, regardless of if you went through great pains to make it appear in such a way.

on a side note, is this the film you got in the mail? i am overseas now, and won't get to try mine until august :(

No it's not the film I got in the mail. I haven't shot that yet.

that's not what I meant.

Max has yet to comment on my photos...and I dont post pictures to get "great!" or "Your turning into a pro!", rather I look to better my skills. Now sometimes it feels as if Max is attempting to be a [SIZE=-1]Simon Cowell knock off...but ehh to each his own. For every criticism I try and find a solution, instead of a swift punch to the ego and bounce.

So without my bias (yet) :lol: critique...I say this photo is cluttered. Not boring as Max would say, but rather a let down from all the hype that surrounds Max and his greatness.

Edit: Had to breath life back into this thread again...because I very rarely see photos from Max, just critiques.
[/SIZE]

well . . . some people here still don't get it.

and to those taking this chance to jump in the middle of his ****-
just because you don't love someones work who critiques yours doesn't mean they can't offer valuable critiques . . .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back