Watermark? (yeah, one of these. Shoot me now.)

SNBniko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So. I work in a strange location. My boss sent me out on a long drive to pick up some soybean seeds to grow in an experiment. (I ran almost the same experiment last year, so I knew what was up.) I get to the place, the guy cuts me a deal saying that he'll give me the soybeans for free if I keep him updated with what's going on and results for the experiment. I was going to start emailing him pictures, and I don't know if I should watermark them or not... I really don't know this guy, and I don't want him using the pictures for anything without permission... I have never watermarked anything ever, so how do I go about doing that? Just a small thing in the lower corner?

My last name is Fillinger... can anyone make a cute but 'professional' (I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL, I just don't want to look like a dumbass and I'm really bad with toying with words, haha) play off that? Fillinger Fotography? I don't want to seem like I can't spell... maybe just J. Fillinger at the lower corner?

Or perhaps no watermark at all? I know a small watermark is easy to crop off or clone out... I just want a very mild deterrent. Any help and advice would be great, even if it's 'you're stupid, forget the watermark'.

When he is the head of the co op with a rather extensive website? Surprisingly extensive for a co op really, and it was shocking large when I pulled up.

They're actually pretty cool, I've been taking daily pictures so you can see how fast they came up, and they aren't just clickity clickity... I took some kind of neat ones, in my opinion. =)

I know this doesn't answer your question... but I guess my question is what are you afraid this is guy is going to do with them? What will you loose if he does? How come you are not willing to give him permission to do so?

jands said:
I know this doesn't answer your question... but I guess my question is what are you afraid this is guy is going to do with them? What will you loose if he does? How come you are not willing to give him permission to do so?

I was about to ask OP the same thing. Why would you care if he used them? Not like he'll be selling the images lol. And even if you watermark them...anyone knows how to do a 3-second crop to take it off.

Here's an interesting article I read recently, pertaining to exactly your question. TONS of great info for photographers on this site too!

http://www.tofurious.com/2011/05/6-reasons-why-you-should-not-watermark-your-images/

Sent from Erics iPhone! (2) Nikon D300 50mm 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8VRII, 24-70 2.8, 85mm 1.4, (2) SB900

All I want is if he uses them on their website, I would like to have credit. No money or anything, I'm not good enough for any of that, but if he uses them or sends them to someone, I'd like it to be obvious who took them. That's all! Can I digitally watermark them so if someone tries to right click save it, it tries to save as my last name?

I don't want to be a snot, but if he tries to send them around to other co-ops etc... I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a weenie here.

ETA: Apologies for being extremely comma-happy this morning.

It's a tough call, really.

If there's no credit associated with the shot, whether in the form of a watermark or text, you get absolutely no recognition for having taken the shot. I can sympathize with that. I also know that it's not always about making money... a point which seems to be lost on many people that have responded to similar threads over the past months. It's about the fact that YOU created that photo, and it'd be nice to at least have people know that if they are going to look at it. We all want some degree of recognition for our work, whether or not we are professional photographers. And, in the case of those who aren't professionals, sometimes getting that tiny shred of credit is even more important, because you can't walk away from the scenario reassuring yourself that, "Well, at least I got paid."

Given that you want credit, though, there's no real surefire way to ensure that happens... that is, there's nothing you can do to the photograph that would irreversibly "brand" it as yours without destroying the viewing quality of the shot.

In my opinion, your best bet is to establish some semblance of a rapport with the co-op manager. Tell him that he is free to use the photography to promote his work, with the minor request that you be credited for the images whenever they are used or transferred. If you just openly offer him the opportunity to use the photos... which would probably be quite beneficial to him... he'd most likely be obliged to credit you as requested.

Of course, he may also end up being careless and not crediting you. But in this case, I think that kindly asking for credits in return for openly allowing usage is probably the most reliable way to get recognized.

Does your boss, who owns the Intellectual Property of the experiment and the results, know about the 'deal' and the pictures?
This can easily be construed badly for you.

The Traveler: Yes, he is aware of this. This experiment has already been presented in a written and published paper, it isn't any secret. It's a way to try and get a jump on a 3 million dollar project, and to avoid paying money to dig out the last lagoon like the EPA wants. As long as we do experiments on the biosolids, they aren't going to make us trench it. Last year the height of the greenhouse affected (effected?) results, so this year it's the same experiment but run in a different direction (north south instead of east west).

My boss' son is also friends with me on "the book" and I post most of my pictures there, so if pictures were a problem I'd know. My boss has asked me to take pictures, and I'm doing a summer long time lapse of the corn in the 3 dug out lagoons and around the greenhouse. =) Thanks for the heads up though!

I think I'm just going to put a little 'J. Fillinger' in the corner. I wish my last name was shorter to make it smaller, but ah well. It will be easy to ignore, or crop off, or clone out, but at least I kind-of tried. Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

Why not just let the guy know that though you retain all rights to these photos, that he is free to use the photos for non-commercial purposes as long as he gives you credit (your name) under or on each photo?

I always thought that saying stuff like that sounds a little snobby, particularly for an ammy like myself. Bah. I feel like taking some cruddy pictures to send to him haha

I always thought that saying stuff like that sounds a little snobby, particularly for an ammy like myself. Bah. I feel like taking some cruddy pictures to send to him haha

It would be hilarious if you felt too awkward to ask him for credit if he used your photos, so instead you gave him crappy photos and he used them while giving credit anyways. Everyone would see your crappy photos with your name listed right under them as the photographer. Muhahaha.. I would laugh my @ss off!

Most reactions

Back