Mosquito or Gnat pupa on the left and?
IMG_4805LittleandLarge by davholla2002, on Flickr

Mosquito larva

IMG_4795MosquitoLarvav2 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Unknown and mosquito larva
IMG_4834Unknownandmosquito by davholla2002, on Flickr

A bigger view of the unknown creature
IMG_4834Unknownandmosquito by davholla2002, on Flickr

The set up, if you ever want to copy this remember to take some rainwater with you - in case where you are going is cloudy water.

IMG_6802Water by davholla2002, on Flickr

Getting really macro and what a great set up.

What a novel idea. Good stuff.

Well I got it from this book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Close-Up-Photography-Focus-Stacking/dp/1847977197.
The author calls these observation cells.
This is better than a tank because
1) It takes less space
2) It enables you to get closer to the creatures
3) You can take it on a plane

The disadvantage is that it was tricky to get it stable

I took his design and modified it - he suggested using photographic plates (Photographic plate - Wikipedia) - just don't cleaning them is horrible and dangerous, I cut myself when I tried.
I used glass picture frames from the range so much cheaper and easier.
https://www.therange.co.uk/ (For people in other countries there must be similar there).

Which Neil Philips uses for his photographic tanks.
Neil Phillips
His tanks are better than mine for taking photos of newts and fish - a problem that I have not cracked.
However his can't be taken on aeroplanes - mine have been without problems.
Hopefully there will be more creatures in the next pond I try this on (mine is 2 years old but sadly very lacking in life).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I got it from this book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Close-Up-Photography-Focus-Stacking/dp/1847977197.
The author calls these observation cells.
This is better than a tank because
1) It takes less space
2) It enables you to get closer to the creatures
3) You can take it on a plane

The disadvantage is that it was tricky to get it stable

I took his design and modified it - he suggested using photographic plates (Photographic plate - Wikipedia) - just don't cleaning them is horrible and dangerous, I cut myself when I tried.
I used glass picture frames from the range so much cheaper and easier.
https://www.therange.co.uk/ (For people in other countries there must be similar there).

Which Neil Philips uses for his photographic tanks.
Neil Phillips
His tanks are better than mine for taking photos of newts and fish - a problem that I have not cracked.
However his can't be taken on aeroplanes - mine have been without problems.
Hopefully there will be more creatures in the next pond I try this on (mine is 2 years old but sadly very lacking in life).

All very interesting stuff there D. I may give this a go next spring.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Actually according to Neil Philips and Julian Cremona who are the experts you can get interesting subjects in the winter doing this - if you don't mind getting cold - even better if you are by the sea (although I didn't find anything swimming in the sea the one day I looked).
Hopefully I will try this winter and will see what I get.
However I do know if you have muddy water rat tailed maggots are all year round.

Actually according to Neil Philips and Julian Cremona who are the experts you can get interesting subjects in the winter doing this - if you don't mind getting cold - even better if you are by the sea (although I didn't find anything swimming in the sea the one day I looked).
Hopefully I will try this winter and will see what I get.
However I do know if you have muddy water rat tailed maggots are all year round.

Ah, cool. I'm right by the sea and being in Scotland, I'm kinda used to the cold and wet:D

Ah, cool. I'm right by the sea and being in Scotland, I'm kinda used to the cold and wet:D
Well you could get some really interesting creatures from the sea (e.g crab larvaa) apparently there is an increase in plankton in November. I would suggest buying Julian Cremona's books they are quite interesting.

Most reactions

Back