Photography vests suggestions

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was wondering if anyone here makes use of a photography vest and if so what you've found works for you; and what doesn't work. What you'd change or have added or taken away and anything that comes to mind when using one. I came across "the vest guy"'s website years ago and ever since I've been interested in getting hold of a vest to help carry gear whilst having weight distributed nicely around me and also having fast access without having to fuss with a bag all the time. I'm aware that they've got a range of various default options as well as a lot of customising, hence why I'm eager to hear peoples thoughts on vests. I've already had a few thoughts including

1) How practical chest pockets are when shooting as keeping the arms close to the body suggests that bulky chest pockets could get in the way and become an annoyance; even more so if loaded with items which are not flat/smooth.

2) How viable the bladder packs are inside the back of the vests since if one puts any bag or item on ones back that would in turn put pressure on the bladder; or cause it to shift around (or the item on your bag). So how practical is it having a water bladder there compared to, say a bottle in a pocket.

3) I saw this video years back -

And the rear pocket for a longer/heavier lens was interesting. I note that I don't see it appearing often (if at all) in latter vests and videos and even in that demo video it seems to flop around a fair bit (and might be a problem with my second point above). However I wonder if such a system could be revisited.
To me its a boon to have the option to sling a heavier lens out of the way; in case one shifts to a shorter lens for the rest of a shoot or wants to have both arms free instead of having to always steady a camera at the hip with one on the clips.

4) It's neat seeing the front pockets holding bigger gear including up to 70-200mm/100-400mm lenses but, again, I'm left wondering how practical that is to have such big pockets and weight on the front.

As I said I'd welcome any views and thoughts on this matter; even from regular vests not made by the afore mentioned company.

Mine is an OLD Tamarac Correspondent's Vest. I've had it forever; I'm not even sure if it's still in production to be honest. It's nothing like the tactical version the chap in the video has, but it does the job for me on 'run & gun' events like sports, and such. Mine can accommodate 24-70 size lenses in the front, lower pockets, but I rarely do that. I find that the weight and movement is very uncomfortable. My back pocket is meant for books, notepads, etc, and not lenses.

One thing to be sure that your vest has if you use neck straps is epaulets. These might look silly, but they work a treat for keeping straps from sliding off your shoulder when you're moving around a lot. I think rather than a bladder pocket, I'd simply opt for a Camelback style bladder carrier, or a water bottle.

The Vest Guy's vest looks cumbersome.

Mine I got at Cabela's many years ago. It is very similar to this current vest. Cabela's Men's Safari® Vest : Cabela's

Mine was designed for photographers. The biggest differences are the three large front pockets are all patch pockets with gussets on the side and are all padded on the outside. The large back pocket is also padded on the outside for protection and on the inside for comfort at the small of the back.

The down side I got it in the film days. The upper right breast pocket has three film canister holders inside that are not quite as useful these days. It also has snap epaulettes on the shoulders. Good for holding a camera securely on the shoulder without sliding off.

I wear a vest (Tilley) daily. not just for photography. It is very handy to carry extra batteries, a flash and perhaps another lens or any other pocketable items when out and about with a camera. The Cabela's suggestion by gryphon looks perfect.

The link to the safari vest gryphon suggested I would probably wear something like that but the one the vest guy shows hell no. looks way to bulky to me. I don't even like winters jackets on in the winter but I wear it only to keep warm.

I love my Humvee vest.
It's some 12 years old now.
But I have a couple of Tilley hats. :1219:

When I was shooting news, we used to laugh at vests and those who used them. "Shooter's Vests" we called them. About ten years ago I got one and I liked it. It is a Domke vest, vented, large pouch in back, plenty of pockets. I wear it when I'll be on my feet for hours while continuously walking. It is easier on the back than a bag, but for me, a bag is faster to work out of.

As Gary points out, vests are not very "in style" these days. I have one. I don't use it a lot. I suspect I'll be taking it to Botswana in July. Besides the earlier point about it being easier on the back than a backpack, it's a way of cheating with carryon luggage and weight limits. Example: I'll be going someplace where the total luggage weight allowed if 40 pounds (clothing, gear, everything). Except the person (and what you have on you). Or if I was on an airline where checked bags had a reputation for disappearing...a vest could also be invaluable.

And my vest is a tactical one. Invariably, there are some pockets that aren't a good fit for gear (so the remain empty). It's still better than having to schlep a backup and take it off and open it up and then put it back on if you need to change lens or replace a filter or swap out a battery, etc. I think one other consideration is the climate. I've known some shooters who will throw on a T-shirt and then put the vest over top and...that's it. In hot climates, it can be a way of getting away with wearing less clothing without appearing to be too gauche.

As Gary points out, vests are not very "in style" these days. I have one. I don't use it a lot. I suspect I'll be taking it to Botswana in July. Besides the earlier point about it being easier on the back than a backpack, it's a way of cheating with carryon luggage and weight limits. Example: I'll be going someplace where the total luggage weight allowed if 40 pounds (clothing, gear, everything). Except the person (and what you have on you). Or if I was on an airline where checked bags had a reputation for disappearing...a vest could also be invaluable.

And my vest is a tactical one. Invariably, there are some pockets that aren't a good fit for gear (so the remain empty). It's still better than having to schlep a backup and take it off and open it up and then put it back on if you need to change lens or replace a filter or swap out a battery, etc. I think one other consideration is the climate. I've known some shooters who will throw on a T-shirt and then put the vest over top and...that's it. In hot climates, it can be a way of getting away with wearing less clothing without appearing to be too gauche.
These days ... lol ... I was speaking to the 1960's and 1970's, young man. lol Back then there were no specifically design photo vests, so those who had them used fishing vests. An especially good photog we'd call a 'Shooter'. As in, "... look there's Larry Burrows", then someone would chime in "... yeah, he's a shooter", in a tone reflecting reverence.

I had a vest back then. It was a model M-1955. I think it got lost. :biggrin-93:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back