We dug out a few treasures!

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I spent the last weekend at my sister's, we spent most of the time looking at her photos taken during her trip to Namibia from 1 to 15 October.
But when I was just about to leave, I asked her the question that I had wanted to ask all the while, i.e. whether one of our dad's old Leica's was still there, and if so, where, and if it was in good working order, and could I borrow one?

And so she showed me all she had carefully stored away, such as her own very first camera ever which she got when she became 8:

Instamatic1.jpg

1/10, f2.8, no flash, manual wb, handheld

Or our father's very first camera, but I can't tell how old this one is? Anyone of you might know?

alteKodak1.jpg

1/3, f2.8, no flash, manual wb, handheld

alteKodak2.jpg

1/5, f2.8, no flash, manual wb, handheld

alteKodak3.jpg

1/8, f2.8, no flash, manual wb, handheld

Or this one, which unfortunately no longer is in working order, but I still remember so well the times when my father took portrait pics of us, sister, brother and myself, when we were very little:

Rolleiflex.jpg

1/2, f3.2, no flash, manual wb, handheld

And one of the Leicas, the M2, without inbuilt light metre

LeicaM2.jpg

1/2, f3.2, no flash, manual wb, handheld

And here comes the best part of all: the Leica that my sister gave me to take home with me so I can now go "back to the roots" and learn some aspects about photography that I have never really had the chance to learn much :D

LeicaM5_1.jpg

LeicaM5_2.jpg

LeicaM5_3.jpg

all three taken at 1/2, f3.2, no flash, manual wb, handheld

I am testing it now with an Ilford HP5 plus 400 and can only HOPE for some good results. It is soooooooo thrilling!

Ahh, I can't wait to see some of those film shots...awesome cameras, I really love all of the old vintage cameras. :thumbup:

Cool cams.

The second one is a Kodak Retina I. Looks like the early version. Here's some info:

The Retina I was produced in several different variations from 1934-1950; the Ia was produced from 1951-194; the last Ib model was produced into 1960.

Thanks, David and Jon.
I would think my dad's Kodak Retina was the first from the series then. The dates fit well and he might have invested his first "new" money (the Deutsch-Mark, after the war, first put into circulation in 1948 ) in this one ... but that is just me guessing.

And I am so curious to see whether I manage to take photos with this Leica myself, too! :)

Wow. True treasures. If the test-shot results are iffy, both the M2 and M5 deserve a CLA by an authorized dealer/repair guy. Enjoy! My Leicas are always a source of inspiration.

Tuna

M @ k o said:
They were so cool lookin back in them days. Can't wait for your results !

Can't either ;).

But I will have to.
Since I don't know anyone with a darkroom round here, I had to hand in the film so it'd be sent to the lab, and since it is black and white which is hardly ever being asked for, it is not only expensive but will also take a week or more for the developed film and prints to be back.

No instant gratification to be had with these old little treasures.
But the anticipation is like waiting for Christmas! :D

LaFoto said:
Can't either ;).

But I will have to.
Since I don't know anyone with a darkroom round here, I had to hand in the film so it'd be sent to the lab, and since it is black and white which is hardly ever being asked for, it is not only expensive but will also take a week or more for the developed film and prints to be back.

No instant gratification to be had with these old little treasures.
But the anticipation is like waiting for Christmas! :D

I know how you feel. I had to pay £10 for 33 exposures developed and printed and this was C-41 process even though it was black and white :grumpy:

Oh, wow! The lens on that Rollei makes me think it's a tele-Rollei you have there! Corinna - snag that camera and send it somewhere to get it back in working order. It could be a little gem. :heart:

And you remember your dad taking portraits with it?? oooo.... I'd be all over that bad boy. ;) Does anyone know what's not working on it, exactly?

The Leica looks sweet, too. Looking forward to seeing those shots - good luck! :)

Gosh...I just want all the babies taken care of here. Such a great old collection! Thanks for posting these.

PS You might want to copy this thread to the Collector's Corner. We have some folks who'd love to see it!

Must bump this for my sister, too ;).
She wants to see her little Kodak Instamatic nicely placed on her piece of black velvet, with all the lights we could find in her living room around it so I could avoid using the flash when I took these.

They are ok.
Your monitor is horrible. I told you that last weekend! Looking at photos is no fun on a monitor like yours. Low resolution and quite dark... brrr! I am so happy about my new one. Wish for a flat screen for Christmas! Then you might enjoy coming to here much more, too! Believe me! The difference is ENORMOUS!

Most reactions

Back