Weathersealing question.

Ant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Following the leak of the upcoming Nikon D200 it has been said that this camera will be weathersealed. This makes it a very attractive upgrade from my D70 for me, as I've missed a few shots due to inclement weather and not wanting to get my camera wet.

However, one thing puzzles me: Whilst buying lenses I've not seen any mention of weathersealing on them or not, and just a quick look at my lenses would lead me to believe that they aren't. So what's the point of a weathersealed camera if the lenses aren't? Or am I missing something here?

I figured that the idea would be that you'd have to buy new weathersealed lenses too?
Good question.

I suspect that Nikon, like Canon, has a limited selection of weathersealed lenses and you'll have to use one (or more!) of those to obtain a weathersealed camera system.

I use a plastic bag over the lens and camera with a UV filter sticking out of a hole in the bag. A rubber band around the end of the lens helps keep the moisture out of that end. Even with this protection, I welcome the D1X's weather sealing to help protect my investment. In high humidity or light sprinkles I don't bother with the bag and use my body to shield the camera. Never had any issues with any of my Nikon's using these techniques.

Most reactions

Back